PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered an Outback

dewey
03-26-2004, 01:04 PM
Hi all,
I just ordered a new Outback. This will be my first inboard. I was just wondering if I could get feed back on two things. First, I want to know how well everyone else's new Moombas are holding up. I read a bunch of disturbing post concerning fuel gauges, gelcoat cracks and other quality and service issues. Should I be alarmed? Also I was wondering if anyone had any helpful advice on owning an inboard. I have driven several (on a limited scale) but never owned on.
Thanks,
Terry Miller
Cape Coral, FL

MEDIC151
03-26-2004, 01:51 PM
I have had my 02 Outback Ls for 2 full seasons now and only had one issue and that was with the trailer. I have been very impressed with the service and quality in these boats. I have alittle over 100 hours on mine and love it. I think that I have even converted a Nautique fan (my brother) over to the Moomba family. I've boarded behind the Correctcraft boats and there is little or no difference, except the payment. I think that you'll find that people here would agree that we got the better deal.

Medic

Lake Bound
03-26-2004, 03:57 PM
I have an 2002 Outback LS that I also have two seasons on with about 120 hrs. and the boat has been fantastic. I have had a couple of issues, the fuel pump just went out and the ballast sacks functioned incorrectly but that was a design flaw. Any time their is a problem they take care of it very quickly. You will love your new boat and owning a inboard is easy you just have to get used to how they react. Good luck and any other questions let us know.

csaj4506
03-27-2004, 09:46 PM
You're going to love your new boat. I am a fist time inboard boat owner and it is great fun.

There is a post started by Lpfeil under this category titled New Outback with some great tips for new boat owners. The only thing I would mention is be extra careful about loading your boat. That is how I go my first ding.

dewey
03-29-2004, 04:19 PM
Thank you all for your responses. I was wondering what the break in procedure will be and how long I will have to wait before I can ski behind it.
Thxs,
Terry
Cape Coral, FL

Lpfeil
03-29-2004, 04:56 PM
You have a (10) hour breakin period for the motor. You can go to the engine manufactours web site and read there manual on line ( indmar.com ). You'll be restricted to 2000 rpm for the first hour, 3000 rpm for the second hour,than 4000 rpm for 5 hours, after that your not suppose to stay at any set rpm for a length of time.I did not do anything but just cruise around with mine till after I had the 10 hour service done.

Larry

LKGBOUND
03-29-2004, 09:41 PM
ONE MORE SUGGESTION, CHECK THE CONNECTIONS FIRST!! I JUST PUT MY 04 OUTBACK ON THE WATER SATURDAY AND AFTER THE FIRST HOUR, WHEN I WENT TO THE 3000 RPM THRESHOLD, A HOSE CAME OFF THE MOTOR. OF COURSE I DIDN'T HAVE ANY TOOLS ONBOARD...................SO AFTER A LITTLE FIGURING AND TRYING DIFFERENT THINGS I FINALLY GOT A VERY SMALL KEY TO WORK AS A SCREWDRIVER AND GOT THE HOSE BACK ON AND TIGHTENED THE CLAMP. A VERY MINOR ISSUE, BUT IF I WOULD HAVE TAKEN A MINUTE OR TWO TO CHECK ALL THE CONNECTIONS I MAY NOT HAVE FOUND OUT THE HARD WAY.

ON A POSITIVE NOTE: THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT FILLED UP EXTREMEMLY QUICK, SO THAT GAVE ME A CHANCE TO MAKE SURE THE BILGE PUMP WORKED!!

AFTER RIDING A LITTLE SATURDAY AND SUNDAY I NOW HAVE JUST OVER 5 HOURS ON IT AND I LOVE IT!!!

LKGBOUND
04 OUTBACK W/320 INDMAR

waterboy
03-30-2004, 04:13 AM
I have a 2001 Outback LS, and I'm totally satisfied with the quality of the boat as well as the service from my dealer. The gelcoat still looks brand new, no cracks anywhere. The only issues I've ever had was a speedo that quit working (dealer replaced it free), and a short which made the bilge pump run for no reason. Very minor stuff, I'd say. Enjoy your new boat.

Brian