PDA

View Full Version : oil filter

DOCDRS
09-18-2002, 11:50 PM
I have a 99 outback ls. i'm curious to everyone's thoughts on oil change frequency. i put about 60 hrs a year on my boat. An indmar tec suggested to change in the spring and then late in the summer (around mid to end of aug).

Also this tec , when doing an oilchange uses a fram ph 13 filter which he says is bigger than the one he replacedand therefore more effectictive n efficient. i looked it up and its recommended for the 5.7 l police engines . Sounds reasonable to me.

Anyones thoughts on this?

moombamania
09-19-2002, 10:02 AM
We do an every 50 hour oil/filter and trany change. We are fortunate enough to get around 100 hrs in each summer so we look at a Spring & August fluid change. I am a synthetic nut so we use the matching Mobile to our 2000 Outback/LS Fram number. Can't see any reason the bigger filter would hurt though. Will keep my eye on this post as well to see what Moomba has to say.

Bobby
09-19-2002, 10:39 AM
I have 99 Outback and I change the oil and filter in the engine every 30 hours. I use synthetic blend 15W-40 SJ/CG4 oil and Baldwin B-27 oil filter. I prefer not to use Fram filters. I believe Fram to be a less desirable filter than Baldwin. This is strictly a personal observation. I change the transmission oil every 60 hours. I bought a little vacuum pump from West Marine for $49.95 that easily removes the fluid from the transmission.

waterboy
01-05-2003, 05:31 PM
I read a report on oil filters, it said Fram filters were poorly made and unreliable. Mobil 1 filters and Purolater were at the top of the list. i'll post the link if I can find it, but you can probably do your own search under "oil filter reviews" and see what comes up.