PDA

View Full Version : Gnat's (PWC's)

MEDIC151
03-26-2004, 10:37 AM
I know this will get people wound up as it does with me, but I was wondering if any of you have lakes that are restricting the gnat's to certain areas of the lake? The lakes that I frequent don't. I have had some close calls with them and I am sure that if I hadn't been paying attention, there would be at least one or two on the bottom of the lake. I know there are some that are courteous, but for the most part, they seem ignorant to the unwritten rules of courtesy. My wife tried to inform a group last season while I was teaching a new boarder. She was on another boat just floating in the area when these guys came in and started trying to jump my wake. With a new boarder, that to me is a huge issue with regards to safety. They ended up destroying the water and cussing at her for even mentioning it to them. It was very hard not to follow them in and give them a lesson not soon forgotten.

Medic

MEDIC151
03-26-2004, 11:12 AM
I wasn't generalizing. Maybe it is a local thing here. On the lake that I go to the most, there is a rental place and I have often thought that this might be part of the problem. People that haven't rode them much, if any. I ride them occasionally and don't think that everyone of them are "yahoo's" . There are plenty of those in boats as well. I heard that there were some lakes, especially corp lakes, that were talking about defining an area specifically for them. I don't stereotype people, but you cannot deny the saftey concerns when they do things that endanger people in the water no matter who it is. I have had them doing donuts around the no wake bouy while trying to trailer my boat. These are the inconsiderate things that I am talking about. I have had boats pass by the bouys, missing them by mere inches and creating a huge wake for me and others to deal with on the ramp. You would be much appreciated at the lake that I go to with the actions you describe. I can assure you that you would be in a distinct minority. No offense was intended.

Medic

MEDIC151
03-26-2004, 01:45 PM
Its hard to justify going to another lake when it takes me 6 minutes from driveway to the ramp. I'll just learn to avoid them at all costs if it looks like they are clueless in any way.

Medic

BensonWdby
03-27-2004, 12:56 PM
Generalizing is dangerous. But generalizations do stem from experience.
I think the Biggest issue with these things is that they don't get tired. Unlike a ski boat where the boat has to stop and change skiers, or maybe stop completely because all skiers are spent, PWCs only stop when they run out of gas and then only long enough to gas up. And the thing that makes them fun, doing circles and big random wakes, is exactly the inverse of what makes skiing fun.

Kind of like trying to play football and tennis at the same time on a tennis court. You can play football anywhere, but you can only play tennis on the court. And football really screws up the surface (grass court), but the football players don't care because they don't need a good surface.

Personally I have used PWCs on lakes and oceans and I do not understand the attraction. They are fun, even exhilarating, for about 10 minutes and then same-old-same-old.

Another huge concern is that a common thought among many PWC users is that it is perfectly safe to let a 12 year old take out a 650 (or bigger) on their own.... I see it all the time.

My 2cts.
Dave

waterboy
03-28-2004, 04:58 AM
Hey Gordon, I was at the boat show too but not with my boat. Maybe next year we should meet up for a beer?

Brian

waterboy
03-31-2004, 04:59 AM
I had to work......:(