PDA

View Full Version : White on Hull bubbeling!!!!!

98 Outback
06-20-2009, 10:32 AM
Why is the white on my hull of my 98 Outback bubbeling??? Please Help!!!

Razzman
06-20-2009, 04:56 PM
Those look to be water blisters usually associated with leaving the boat in the water for extended lengths of time. Here's an explanation i grabbed from another site;

"Fiberglass blisters occur because water passes through the gelcoat. Water soluble chemicals inside the laminate exert an osmotic pull on water outside, and some water molecules find a way through the gelcoat. As more water is attracted into the enclosed space, internal pressure builds. The water molecules aren't squirted back out the way they came in because they have combined with the attracting chemicals into a solution with a larger molecular structure. Instead, the pressure pushes the covering gelcoat into a dome-a blister.

There has been a great deal of hysteria about blisters, but the reality is that the number of boats that develop serious blister problems is extremely small. An occasional blister or two is not a serious problem, any more than is an occasional gouge in the hull. Some boats seem to exhibit a greater propensity to blister, presumably due to the chemical components used and/or the layup schedule, but all boats are at some risk. Surveys suggest that about one boat in four develops blisters."

gcnettl
06-20-2009, 09:47 PM
Did moomba sponsor a lifetime hull warranty back then? If they did, perhaps they should step up to the plate.

Razzman
06-20-2009, 11:13 PM
Don't believe they did then and even if they did it wouldn't cover this. This isn't a defect that's specific to any one mfgr. and like i said is caused from leaving the boat in the water for prolonged periods. I'll almost bet the current lifetime won't cover this as it's cosmetic, per the cutrrent warrenty; "Our hand-laid hulls are warranted for a limited lifetime. Thus, L, Limited Lifetime Coverage on the structure of every Moomba boat". If it was a new boat, maybe. Imo an eleven year old boat forget it. It's going to need a good glass repair man to fix this, sorry.

Reese350
06-21-2009, 06:47 AM
Razz, what is an extended period of time. We always keep our LSV on a lift but will be doing some traveling with it this summer and it could be in the water for 2 weeks at a time. Is 2-3 weeks problematic?

Razzman
06-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Reese i'm no expert on this, i just know what causes it. I've left all my boats in the water for up to a week without issues as have all my boating friends and family. All the ones i've heard of doing this are boats that are left in slips or such for a season, doesn't mean there are not exceptions though.

Some experts say it's caused by inferior resins in the layup process and that using only quailty resins prevents it. Who knows but the only real way to prevent is to not leave it in the water too long. Like i said i'm no expert but 2-3 weeks doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

Reese350
06-21-2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks Razz. I think I will either find a lift to put in on or pull it out after a week and let it dry out good just to be safe.

98 Outback
06-22-2009, 09:16 AM
Hi Guys I am not a rocket scientist but this is what we call a boat and boats are used and stay in the water!!! What do I have to do to fix this!!!

Darren:-(

Razzman
06-22-2009, 09:26 AM
Well Darren if you fix this and put it back in the water for extended periods then it'll happen again. Here's an explanation on how to DIY it yourself but according to the article you may have more serious issues. Any boat that's left in the water should be painted with bottom or anti-fouling paint to prevent this.

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/03.htm