PDA

View Full Version : Outback LS Tower Question

Jeff W
06-19-2009, 01:08 PM
Hey Guys -

New Outback owner looking for some tower information. I picked up a low hour, 2002 Outback LS that has no tower. I'm going to be ordering a tower here very shortly and I'd like some info and advice. My first question is about an OEM tower. Does Moomba offer a tower specifically for the older hull? I can't find anything on moomba.com ..

A couple of aftermarket options I'm looking into are Monster Tower and New Dimension. Both are tried and true with good reputation. But one more option I'm looking at is the tower package from boardbags.com or boardbag.com (cant remember). They have a sick deal on a nice looking tower package. $1500 shipped for tower, racks, cans and mirror. Does anyone have a boardbags tower or know anyone who does? Does it creak/moan? Any issues? I know Monster Tower is a "slam dunk" and New Dimension is as well (but more expensive). I'd like to stick to around $1500 total and if I could get some racks on it for that price - I'd be happy.

Thoughts? Pics of your Monster Tower or New Dimension or BoardBags or OEM tower on your 02-04 Outback LS?

Thanks everyone. Look forward to learning a lot on the forum. I'm a forum whore - so I know the ropes pretty well ;)

Appreciated -
Jeff

Jeff W
06-19-2009, 02:34 PM
Jeff, if you want to find out about the OEM tower...

the customer service rep for XTP (xtreme tower products), is Cody Farmer.

[email protected]

(xtp and monster are the same company)

Excellent.

Will send Cody an e mail now.

TTT for more info! Thanks Ed

volfo
06-19-2009, 05:16 PM
Jeff, I put a Monster Tower MT2 on my 01 OB LS (same hull as yours) last year. No complaints, love it, get it good and tight and tighten after the first several uses and you are good.

I like the looks a lot better than the original tower for that boat, and it is more substantial. The only downside is that the monster tower has narrow front legs that limit your width on a bimini somewhat.

By the way, the only thing I like as much as my monster tower is my monster tower cargo rack bimini. You'll have to get the small with the monster tower, but you could get the large one I think with the New Dimension.

Go to customer photos on teh monster site and hit mt2. You'll see a beige and maroon stripe OB LS right away - it's mine.

Jeff W
06-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Jeff, I put a Monster Tower MT2 on my 01 OB LS (same hull as yours) last year. No complaints, love it, get it good and tight and tighten after the first several uses and you are good.

I like the looks a lot better than the original tower for that boat, and it is more substantial. The only downside is that the monster tower has narrow front legs that limit your width on a bimini somewhat.

By the way, the only thing I like as much as my monster tower is my monster tower cargo rack bimini. You'll have to get the small with the monster tower, but you could get the large one I think with the New Dimension.

Go to customer photos on teh monster site and hit mt2. You'll see a beige and maroon stripe OB LS right away - it's mine.

Yeah, that would be an issue. I have an OEM bimini and I know that wouldn't fit. Which is fine - I could pick up another Monster bimini like you have - but again, I just CANT get into the styling of the Monster. I really like the look of the New Dimension and the Boardbag.com tower... Damnit... The Monster Tower is such a good price and everyone says it's a quality tower - but I can't lie and say looks don't matter. I'm a casual/intermediate boarder (obviously - since I own an Outback LS) so the look of the tower is as important as the functionality.

Dangit. I'm going to go to Monsters site and look at it again.. I'll stare at it for an hour and see if I can sell myself on it..

volfo
06-19-2009, 11:25 PM
if you have the regular bimini I don't think you'll be able to get it to work no matter the tower. Could be wrong, but I don't think so. If you have the OEM tower bimini, definitely go for the New Dimension if you like that better because monster tower plus new bimini will be more expensive than New Dimension and not having to get another bimini.

I think the prices are fairly close, get what you want.

Jeff W
06-20-2009, 11:41 AM
I really like the look of that tower. Is the New Dimenion? It looks similar to the MasterCraft Zero Flex.

1LOKMOOMBA
06-24-2009, 11:07 PM
I really like the look of that tower. Is the New Dimenion? It looks similar to the MasterCraft Zero Flex.

Hey, J The tower is from New Dimensions, Only tower I could find OEM looking, It's rock solid no squeeking, It's worth the extra money.

Jeff W
07-02-2009, 11:46 PM
Argh. I like how the New Dimension looks but I just can't bring myself to spring for double for something that essentially does the same thing..

I'm looking at a couple of towers. I'd love some opinions and insight..

Aerial Towers
http://www.aerialwakeboarding.com/aerial-wakeboard-wakeboarding-boat-tower-towers-s/24.htm

The "ricer" side of me glanced at the Assault but I think realistically we're looking at the Airborne Tower. I love the side profile and the lower hoop. The rear view is pretty bad though - very wide and boxy. Looks like its a solid 12" wider than the boat.

What are your thoughts? Take a look at the photos.

The other option is a very similar tower by Big Air towers called the Vapor.
http://www.bigairpylons.com/VaporTower.htm

When I'm looking at these two towers - the only difference I can spot is in the lower hoop. On the one tower - there is two "bends" and one the other tower there is just one bend. Both seem wide from the back. I guess that could be a good excuse to fill it up with 4 speakers and 5 lights, right? That's what I should tell my wife at least ;-)

Thoughts gentlemen? I can't see myself spending an extra $1k on the New Dimension. These are both very affordable options. One is $1k total, the other is $1500 but comes with 2 board racks..

Love to hear more opinions.

Thanks!
Jeff

mmandley
07-03-2009, 10:34 AM
I really like the look of the Assault Tower also. i love towers that have a flashy side tube, brace, like the Supra and MC series boats. I think its a sweet looking tower, but your right it looks to big for the boat. I think its because its designed for more then one type of boat and bolts to the sides not the top of the hull.