PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Gauge Bounce

outback-newbe
03-25-2004, 05:43 PM
I have an 03' Outback and last year there was much talk of all the problems with the fuel gauges and/or sending units. What has been determined as the fix?

Lpfeil
03-25-2004, 07:48 PM
Have a 2004 Outback one month old and at the dealer right now for 10 hour service.

I would say the problem has not been resolved. Once my guage comes off of full, approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour of running , the guage is all over the place. I refuel after each time out and am figuring how many gallons a hour ive used and going from that.

Love the boat and this is the only issue Ive had.

Larry

outback-newbe
03-26-2004, 04:57 PM
they did blow off the issue and sorry to see they did not get it corrected on the '04 models. Wonder if they will atleast respond though.

Livindadream
03-27-2004, 09:40 AM
Guys, I know we want everything to work, but I am on my fourth boat and have never had an accurate fuel gauge. My last boat was a 1999 Malibu Response, and it did the same thing. Are they crazy all the time, or just when running? Not had this Moomba out but once, and really did not pay any attention to it, but on my Malibu it was accurate when sitting still.

AJones
03-27-2004, 10:03 AM
I agree. I'm also on my 4th boat and none of mine have been accurate. Some have bounced around more than others have and some seemed a little more accurate than others did. I've had to replace a sending unit in the tank before. You have to adjust the sending unit to the depth of your tank to get it as accurate as possible but that still doesn't keep the needle on the gauge from bouncing around. Adjusting the sending unit correctly is the only thing the boat manufacture can doe to effect the accuracy of you fuel gauge. We’ll just have to wait for the gauge manufactures to make better gauges. As far as I know, all boat owners have the same problems with fuel gauges to some extent.

Catdog1
03-27-2004, 07:45 PM
One fix is a set of baffles in the gas tank, including a set around the sensor if its a mechanical one. Infrared sensors are available for chemical tanks, I'll bet they are also available for boats. Issue is probably money.