PDA

View Full Version : 5 Hour Trip to Lake Sinclair - Should I Keep Cover Extension Poles in Place??

Boomer44
06-19-2009, 12:40 AM
I am heading to Lake Sinclair tomorrow evening with boat in tow for an approximately 5 hour haul. I am really looking forward to hauling it over the App. Mountains on I-26 and back down...boy the Yukon will be tired....and this is after driving it 1500 miles last week down to Orlando. But, for a long journey such as this would you all recommend keeping the three cover extension poles in place, or should I lower them? I am not sure if extended highway speeds will stretch the cover fabric with the poles in a tight position. So, any input would help.

Thanks,
Boomer

kaneboats
06-19-2009, 09:02 AM
No idea. But have a great time at Sinclair and please post some pics when you get back. Some of us are headed up there in 3 wks.

04OUTBACK
06-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Which cover do you have? Bow/Cockpit covers or the Full cover?
I don't think you are supposed to tow with any of the full covers. I think the 07 cover MIGHT have been towable.. But they changed it back in 08... I would not keep the poles up.. but if you have straps around the cover that strap to the trailer...that is the biggest issue with any of them..those straps will rubb on the gelcoat..

ONE Option is to put something like the foam Fun Noodles you get at wal mart on the straps so the straps don't burn the gel coat!

Razzman
06-19-2009, 12:44 PM
Unless you have a towing cover do not tow with it on! A towing cover is reinforced in the bow area and around the perimeter for stress and to not scuff the boat. The moomba cover will be severly pushed down into the bow and will stretch it around any obstruction, poles or no poles. It'll stress any point that's not reinforced.

The straps, twisted or not will still flap and scuff the gelcoat. The tag ends you have to tie up will come untied and flap like crazy, again scuffing. I'm not saying this to dissuade you, i'm saying this from experience. Dealer told me "sure it's a towing cover" BS! Well it's not, fortuneately i only towed it 50 miles home. Still had scuffs everywhere i had to buff out! Oh yeah, i wasn't about to shrink wrap anything, it still gets dirt inside even with the cover on, and if it rains it'll still get wet. If you really want to cover it then get a cover that's made for it but'll cost you around $800.

Boomer44
06-19-2009, 02:10 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses. I will take off the cover before we head out. Now I have concern about towing the boat to the storage facility with the cover on. Should I not consider towing the boat at all with the cover on? Even if it is at most 4-5 miles?

Also, I was planing on saran wraping the front end of the boat to help protect the hull from road debris. Should I not do this?

Thanks,
Boomer

Boomer44
06-19-2009, 02:12 PM
No idea. But have a great time at Sinclair and please post some pics when you get back. Some of us are headed up there in 3 wks.

Maybe I will head back down...depending on how this trip goes.

kaneboats
06-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Cool. The mini-jam is getting maxi. (Stay away from that one Ed, it's too easy).

mmandley
06-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Maybe I will head back down...depending on how this trip goes.

Syran wrap is always a good idea if your doing to protect the boat nose. Theres a thread from Jester showing how he wrapped his boat.

Honestly if you tow a lot and fare distances id look into getting mud flaps, or some sort of set up on your rig to protect the boat.

I have a 4x4 and i got some sweet custom flaps on it. Never found a chip or mark yet from the tires after more then a 1500 miles of towing it around OR and WA.

What i do get is black specs all over the front of the boat grumble grumble, this is from my big arse exhaust pipes, they come out behind the rear wheels but the crap in the pipes still gets on my boat, I have to wipe the nose down before i launch it lol.

Boomer44
06-19-2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks again everyone. Going to leave in a little bit.