PDA

View Full Version : Floor panel removal??

MEDIC151
03-25-2004, 03:25 PM
First of all, it took me awhile to find this board, but so far the info is great and I am glad to have joined. As far as my topic, I wanted to ask how do you get to the driveshaft and the joint that you tighten? I can't seem to find my manual. Any help would be appreciated. I assume that the floor is removed at some point, but that is reason for my question. Thanks.

Medic

jon_n_andrea
03-25-2004, 05:24 PM
What model of boat are you talking about?

I have a '99 Outback LS - direct drive, and I just finished replacing the driveshaft. First of all, its a lot easier if you remove the motor cover, if you have a direct drive boat. Then, there is only two screws holding down a piece of the floor panel. It fits under the seat really snug, so you have to do a little bit of wiggleing,(not sure how to spell that), before the panel will come out. Then you should see the shaft/coupling and the packing. Hope that helps. Good Luck.

Take in mind, that is what I saw on my boat, yours could be totally different.

MEDIC151
03-25-2004, 05:37 PM
I forgot to put it in the last post. I have a 2002 Outback Ls with the cage and ballast. I'll look for the screws you mentioned, that should do it. I think that the nut is too loose since when I leave the boat in the water overnite, there seems to be more water in the hull than should be. I noticed that when I am out on the lake, I bilge more than should. Thanks.

Medic

james yarosz
03-25-2004, 11:22 PM
Hey medic,I have a 2003 outback ls,and i had the same problem.(taking on water)Turns out the mufflers were leakingwhere the rear hoses were clamped on.somebody had overtightened the clamps and cracked the mufflers.Dealer replaced them both.

MEDIC151
03-26-2004, 10:06 AM
Thanks, I will look at that as well. I need to get on this since it is almost time for me to start hitting the lake. I also saw a thread about the ballast bags taking on water while running around on the lake. I noticed last season that both bags would have water in them and I know that I didn't hit the switches by accident. If any of you know what causes this the help would be appreciated.

Medic

Yellowmobius
03-26-2004, 10:12 AM
Notsure if your is the same as a 2001 Mobius but when I remove my engine cover I use a punch and drive the pin out of the hinge rather than removing the screws. It is just as easy and that way you won't strip the screw holes out.

MEDIC151
03-26-2004, 10:23 AM
That sounds easier. As soon as the rain moves out, I'm gonna get out the and check it out. By the way, when I bought my boat, I noticed on my capacities sticker that it says Outback LS/ Mobius. I asked the dealer about it and he said that since I got it with a cage and ballast system that it is actually the Mobius. He said that the difference is the standard cage/ballast setup and they just put Outback Ls stickers on it instead. Any of you ever heard that or did I get my chain yanked?

Medic

wavedude69
03-26-2004, 01:32 PM
The two boats are the same except the mobius has the tower/ballast and stainless prop as standard. I have seen the ls with the wakeboarding package added on for about $1500 less than the mobius. Not sure about resale value though.

MEDIC151
03-26-2004, 01:42 PM
Mine has the brass prop, but as far as anything else, I haven't found any difference. The guy at the dealer said I could put the Mobius sticker package on it, but I chose not to. Thanks for the info.

Medic