PDA

View Full Version : Trailer winch slipping

brain_rinse
06-17-2009, 11:00 PM
The winch on my trailer is pretty weak... if I don't power the boat all the way up and try to use the winch to cinch it tight it just slips (strap spins inside). It's basically like not having a winch at all. Any ideas what might be the issue?

jmvotto
06-17-2009, 11:32 PM
sometimes the handle can get stripped. it happened on my buddies four winns. the square slot for the handle on the bolt got more round with use and it would just slip. Maybe a new handle, TSC or someplace may carry them cheap for a replacement if the handle is stripped.

brain_rinse
06-17-2009, 11:42 PM
I should have given a little more detail. The strap winds tighter, but instead of pulling the boat in, the inside of the strap is winding tighter and bunching up.

kaneboats
06-18-2009, 10:38 AM
That can also happen with winding up the whole strap with no tension on it. Best thing to do is pull the whole strap out, make sure it is attached properly, then put some tension on it and slowly wind it back up. If it's nice and tight then you will be able to pull the boat otherwise it will just keep tryin to spin and tighten itself. May have to wet your bunks a little too before you trailer.

brain_rinse
06-18-2009, 05:08 PM
That can also happen with winding up the whole strap with no tension on it. Best thing to do is pull the whole strap out, make sure it is attached properly, then put some tension on it and slowly wind it back up. If it's nice and tight then you will be able to pull the boat otherwise it will just keep tryin to spin and tighten itself. May have to wet your bunks a little too before you trailer.

This makes a lot of sense. I'll rewind the winch, making sure to wind the correct way, with plenty of tension on it and see if that fixes the issue.

lancesaville
06-18-2009, 07:27 PM
This makes a lot of sense. I'll rewind the winch, making sure to wind the correct way, with plenty of tension on it and see if that fixes the issue.

That and kaneboats is correct about wetting your bunks. That boat's gonna come up a LOT easier if they're wet. Hell mine won't even move on dry bunks, I always dip in first.

brain_rinse
06-18-2009, 07:32 PM
That and kaneboats is correct about wetting your bunks. That boat's gonna come up a LOT easier if they're wet. Hell mine won't even move on dry bunks, I always dip in first.
Yep, we dunk the bunks all the way then pull the trailer out some before loading the boat.