PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Mobius LSV Electrical Problem

martysmith15
06-17-2009, 10:51 PM
I need a little help on figuring out my electrical problem. My boat is the 2005 Moomba Mobius LSV with Indmar 350 engine with 325 HP. Boat was running great when we stopped to swim for maybe 15 minutes. I left radio playing and not a problem. Got everyone back in the boat and tried to start the boat but nothing, no clicking or any noise from the starter area. Radio would still play and other accessories worked also. So, I spent a few minutes checking wires under the dash and finally it cranked up. I don't think my actions under the dash caused it to start but I don't know that. Anyway, it ran great all the way back. After getting the boat home I tried to start it again and nothing just like before. I tried to repeat whatever I did under the dash but could not get it to turnover at all. I removed the battery and had it tested at Autozone. They say the battery is fine so I put it back in the boat. Then, I used a screw driver to jump the small wire on the solenoid to the big wire on the solenoid. The boat cranked right up. I know it's not good to do that but I wanted to know if it would work and it did. I then checked the small yellow wire with red stripe going to the solenoid and found it's not getting any juice when the ignition is turned to start position. So, I check what I assume to be the same yellow wire with red stripe coming off the back of the ignition switch. It is getting juice when the key is turned to start position. So, I found the yellow wire with red stripe as it enters the engine compartment and it too has juice when the key is turned to start position. Once in the engine compartment the wires are taped together in a bundle and I would rather not tear all that apart if not necessary. Is there a fuse or reset switch that I'm not seeing in the engine compartment somewhere? Also, it would be great to have a wiring diagram. Does anyone know where to find one? One thing I would like to know from the diagram is where the neutral safety wire comes into play. Any help would be appreciated.

gcnettl
06-18-2009, 06:06 AM
I'm no help but mine did the same last year. I jumped it at the starter. I figured it was just the ignition switch. Never got around to checking it, but that was the only time it did it.

gcnettl
06-18-2009, 06:20 AM
You have 3 connections on your starter right? One big post, and two small posts?

The wiring for the starter is one wire from the battery, the big one, one from the ignition (S) and one to the ignition (I). The one from the ignition carries the signal to engage the solenoid, the one to the ignition loops power back to the ignition, for ignition power during starting.

The safety switch must be wired to the ignition, by guessing.

martysmith15
06-18-2009, 10:29 PM
I found a loose plug that may be telling the boat it's not in neutral gear. Therefore preventing the starter from engaging. In the image you can see the black rubber cap that looks like a spark plug cap but it's on top of the transmission just behind the V drive. I have looked everywhere but cannot determine where this should be plugged into. Does anyone know where this plug should go? Help, the weekend is almost here!!!!!

gcnettl
06-18-2009, 11:20 PM
The neutral safety switch on the transmission has two screws that hold the wires to it. Both wires should go back to the harness.

If you jump the two screws on the switch, it should allow your starter to engage when the ignition is set to crank. That is, if the switch is the problem.

There is also another one mounted onto your throttle.

Does perfect pass see your boat as being as being in neutral? In other words when you turn it on and off, does it give the audible alarm and tell you to return to neutral when you are in fact already in neutral?

A more probable culprit is the Safety Cutoff Switch, Operate this switch and make sure that the tether is attached like it should it, and troubleshoot it as well.

martysmith15
06-19-2009, 07:32 AM
Thanks GCNETTL,

I just want to clarify what you are saying. Should there be two screws under the black rubber cap that looks like a spark plug cover? Are those the two screws to jump together? The perfect pass question is a very good one. I'll check that this evening.

Also, one reason I believe it is the neutral safety feature is I've traced the wires going into a particular relay. There are 4 wires total going into the relay. 2 wires are yellow w/ red stripe, 1 is all red, the last is yellow with black stripe. The yellow with black stripe looks identical to the one in the photo going into the rubber cap. Anyway, the red wire has juice all the time. One of the yellow/red wires has juice when the ignition is in start position. The other yellow/red and yellow/black do not have juice. I think the yellow/black should be a ground. So, I checked the red wire to the yellow/black and got not juice. That tells me the yellow/black is not currently grounded. I think that is the wire in the photo. I think once that wire is switched to have a ground then the relay will be allowed to close and kick in the starter.

Thanks,
Marty

martysmith15
06-19-2009, 10:24 AM
Never mind about the unattached plug in the photo. I just spoke to a rep at the dealer and he said it's ok if that plug is empty. Apparently, it's for another feature that my boat does not have.

gcnettl
06-19-2009, 02:02 PM
As far as that plug, I dont really know what it is for. But your neutral safety switch is on the side of the transmission, and it will look something like this:
https://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R153011

Yes, I believe the relay needs a ground.

martysmith15
06-22-2009, 08:34 AM
Whew, finally found the problem. Thanks to GCNETL I started looking for the neutral safety switch on the tranny. It turns out my switch is located on top of the tranny under a rubber cap that looks like a spark plug cap. Anyway there are two wires going into that cap. One was broken under the cap. I can't imagine how that wire broke. It looks like it would be protected by the cap. Anyway, when I hold that wire by hand to make connection the boat fires right up. Now I just have to put a new connector on the wire and reconnect to the screw.

GCNETL, anything I should know before reconnecting?

Thanks for all the help, Marty

kaneboats
06-22-2009, 08:54 AM
Glad to hear you were able to troubleshoot this yourself and identify the cause. Electrical techs that work on air conditioning and microwaves will tell you that about half the time they are called out they find a broken or burned off wire that a careful inspection would have found.