PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tongue Weight

Lake Bound
03-25-2004, 03:20 PM
I have a 2002 Moomba Ouback LS with a tandem axle trailer that I tow with a F350 with an 11'-6" Lance camper. The boat is approx. 44" behind the truck and just want to make sure I am not over for the Reese Hitch that I just bought. So I was just wondering if anyone has taken their boat to a scale and weighed the tongue weight.

ARLINGTONMOBIUS
03-26-2004, 12:13 AM
The tounge weight on your trailer should be in the 350 pound range. If you look at the specs on the boats, it gives you the total weight of boat and trailer. For bumper pull type trailers to pull correctly and not road walk the tounge weight of the trailer should be very close to 10% of the total trailer weight. If the shank on the ball mount (stinger) for the reese hitch is a 2" square, it should be rated at a minimum of 500 lb. tounge weight and gross weight of 5000 lb. You should be O.K.

tygger6069
03-26-2004, 12:20 AM
Lake Bound,

I have a 2000 Kamberra, which we tow behind our 99 Dodge Ram 2500. We also have a 9'6" Eagle Cap camper, we had to get the Reese Class V hitch so that when we are towing with the camper on that we have enough hitch with the 30" extension in. This is due to the loss of towing capacity with the extension. The tongue weight should not change because of the extension, but waht you have to be careful of is the total weight of the boat, motor, trailer, and all gear in the boat. I hope that this helps.