PDA

View Full Version : OBV vs. LSV

TL7
06-15-2009, 09:42 PM
Other than a foot in length, what is the major difference in these two? I'm looking at upgrading from an Outback (07) to either an OBV or LSV (09). I like the idea of the OBV still fitting in my garage. With ballast III, is there a huge difference in the wake between the two? We board and surf. I've read you can swap the LSV bags for 750's; will they fit in the OBV as well?

lancesaville
06-15-2009, 09:57 PM
Other than a foot in length, what is the major difference in these two? I'm looking at upgrading from an Outback (07) to either an OBV or LSV (09). I like the idea of the OBV still fitting in my garage. With ballast III, is there a huge difference in the wake between the two? We board and surf. I've read you can swap the LSV bags for 750's; will they fit in the OBV as well?

I've heard when the 750s are full, they FILL the compartments on an OBV. But they fit :) But theres TONS of differences, and not in a bad way, the 09 OBV is all new in every respect, totally redesigned for 09. Think the biggest and most noticable differences would be the tower and the new taller upper hull. Same basic layout though. I've not gotten to ride behind an 09 OBV but the wake pics and vids look very close to that of the mobius boats to me. Also I'm know there are some on this board that swear by it's surf wake when setup properly, and from the pics I saw, he's pretty right on. I sure haven't gotten a surf wave like that out of my LSV yet, but then again, I don't have as many sacs either. someday....

Sounds like you need to find a good local dealer, hit up their next demo day and ride behind both boats. :) Good luck bro.

zegm
06-15-2009, 10:42 PM
Don't worry in the morning you will have 2 experts (one owns a OBV and the other has the LSV) who have had their boats side by side, who surf all the time give you some insight!

Hey Ed and Moombadaze!!!!!!

PS Personally I love the beautiful lines of the LSV/LS hull! But looks don't matter here!!!!

volfo
06-15-2009, 10:47 PM
you'll really have to view both boats side by side in my opinion and consider how you will use them. To me, there are several things from a convenience/comfort standpoint that seem to recommend the LSV, just looking at them at the boat show. The LSV seems like a much bigger boat, you sit up higher, the freeboard comes up higher, it just seems deeper. Also, it has a nice, large, usable bow. And, it has a nicer, better looking, more substantial tower.

On the other hand, the OBV is a newer design, and has lots of room in the main seating area for a 20 footer - in part due to the smaller bow, is a new, cool looking design you will either really like or not care for, and seems to have great multisport capability. Reading the board, those that have it swear you can slalom reasonably well behind it, get a great wakeboard wake, and even wakesurf straight from the factory. So it seems to slalom better and wakesurf better - at least out of the box - than the LSV. It seems to be a jack of all trades and I would consider it strongly for that reason even though just sitting in the two boats at the boat show I preferred the LSV by a fairly wide margin.

I would say that if you want a boat for skiing/intermediate level wakeboarding then a better comparison in terms of utility and price might be the OBV versus the Mobius LS direct drive. If you don't care about slalom skiing you are probably looking at the correct two boats in the LSV and the OBV (and maybe the XLV).

Hopefully a couple owners of these beautiful boats will chip in their two cents.

zegm
06-16-2009, 12:23 AM
volfo,

Ed and Moombadaze have had their boats side by side several times. They both surf too! So they will really help him decide between the two!

We have an LS and we do ALL with it (ski, kneeboard, surf, wakeboard, ok no tubing!) Keep in mind we do like to go down the slalom course so we wanted a direct drive! The LS and the LSV have the same hull/tower so I totally agree with you, it IS the best looking boat Moomba makes! But why did they pick the colors they did for the webpage on the LS this year? Yuck! It is like they are trying NOT to sell the LS! :(

moombadaze
06-16-2009, 07:39 AM
Both boats are absolutley great! You just cant go wrong.

We really only surf or pull tubes and since my daughter and wife have started surfing the tubes have stayed in the garage.

Lsv surf wake is great with just a upgrade to rear 750lbs. I have done some mods to my boat but most times dont bother filling the xtra bags up. As for skiing it, I really dont know but hope to get the Zegm family out behind it while in Sinclair next month and let them report on that.--they ski alot.

Best bet is go to a dealer and see if they can put both boats side by side and see the differnce's for your self.

If you think someday you will want to upgrade-get the bigger boat 1st and it will fit a 2 car garage with a standard garage door opening.

good luck

moombadaze
06-16-2009, 07:56 AM
wrong LSV- thats my old one. I dont have a photo where are current boats are together.