PDA

View Full Version : Seat Bolts

mmandley
06-15-2009, 03:45 PM
I have this bolt that connects the cushion to the boat,, in the photo is the approximate location.

My concern is as the seats are now breaking in and getting softer, there is an attaching bolt that is pushing threw the material. It hasn't punctured the seat yet and i don't want to wait till it does.

When someone sits in this corner, every time we surf, you can see the bolt pushing threw, on the Starboard side i don't have this problem. Is this bolt adjustable as how fare its screwed into the back of the cushion? I checked and it looks like i have to remove the entire back cushion.

Or is this a defect i need to have looked at?

Razzman
06-15-2009, 07:01 PM
These are installed on the seat back before it is upholstered. Every boat i've seen does it this way. Unfortuneately they only use a lock washer and nut on the other side so they will work loose. Climb in your rear locker and look behing there and check it for tightness. If loose then snug up but not to tight or you can mess it up.

gcnettl
06-15-2009, 11:10 PM
agree, they are put on before the boat is upholstered. the bolt sticks into the hull, and has a washer, sometimes a lock washer, and a nut. If you want to tighten it and it not come loose, take the nut and get a poly lock nut for it, and install the poly lock instead of the original. Use SS of course.

Good luck on getting to it easily

mmandley
06-16-2009, 12:03 AM
I think you guys might be misunderstanding my problem.

The seat isn't lose at all. Its all fine. The problem is the mounting bolt that holds the seat seems to be too long and is when you sit there and put weight on the cushion it presses that bolt and im afraid it might pop threw the material.

I am wondering can i back that bolt out some how and the cushion still be tight? Or if backing that bolt out will cause the cushion to be lose?

gcnettl
06-16-2009, 02:56 AM
The head of bolt is what you are "seeing push through". In other words, you have, from your point of view, a layer of vinyl, then a layer of foam, then a bolt sticking through the panel to which the seat is attached, through the hull of the boat, with a washer and a nut on the other side of the boat hull.

If you tighten this nut, it will "pull" the bolt head (what you are seeing push through) closer to the hull of the boat.