PDA

View Full Version : Propeller Questions

Laz
06-14-2009, 05:02 PM
I had a look at the prop on my 2007 Outback and noticed that the edges are a bit rough.

The boat is running fine and I notice no performance issues.

I'm trying to decide if it's worthwhile getting a backup prop and/or repairing this prop.

Some questions:

1) What brand of prop do you recommend? I know of OJ and ACME. Any significant difference in quality or price? Any other brands I should look at? What brand is on the boat now?

2) How much (roughly) is a new prop? (I speak Canadian).

3) We have the stock 3-blade 13x13 prop which I think is the best one for slalom. We spend 99% of our time water skiing and occasionally wakeboarding and tubing. Would anyone recommend a different prop?

Thanks!

Mikey
06-14-2009, 06:18 PM
Laz i'm in the same boat quite literraly and i too have small scrapes on my prop with No noticeable vibration orperformance issues. I bought a spare prop which was/is the virtually the same prop on the boat another OJ XMP 13x12 3 blade prop.The stock upgrade prop i got with the boat except apparently the cupping has changed ever so slightly in 08. I have this as a spare but have yet to really need to tryout just yet. I was told the suttle difference you would not notice.
I believe i paid just under 500.00 Can for it through my now defunct dealer.Its a spare untill i really need it ,so its still in the box. Everyone seems to have an opinion on which is better,OJ/ACME, so i was happy with my current prop so i stayed with it. ACMES are a little more from when i was looking though.

insanepolack
06-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Very cheeky. :)

lancesaville
06-14-2009, 09:41 PM
One day while walking around with a little birdie who happened to work for a marine engine company that begins with the letter "I", told me that one should buy a prop from a company that begins with the letter "A".

You take it from there.

Now that's some tasty insider info :) I have the 4 blade 'wakeboard' prop - Love it by the way, fast to plane and easy on gas (I run 93 so it saves lots) - I can't remember is the wakeboard prop OJ or Acme, I'm thinking Acme. Can anyone remember?

Laz
06-16-2009, 08:05 AM
I spoke to ACME. They recommended the Acme 541-13 LH 12 three blade nibral 1" .080 cup.

This is a assuming the gear ratio is 1:1.

Does this sound right?

deafgoose
06-16-2009, 08:16 AM
I upgraded to the OJ 14.25x14 prop and it was by far the best investment yet.

With 2400lb of ballast and 5 people in the boat I can still rip the handle out of the wakeboarders hand if I give full throttle when starting.

GeauxTigers
07-14-2009, 02:19 PM
I upgraded to the OJ 14.25x14 prop and it was by far the best investment yet.

With 2400lb of ballast and 5 people in the boat I can still rip the handle out of the wakeboarders hand if I give full throttle when starting.

What's your top end speed? Are you still able to cruise comfortable at or around 30 mph?

RobertJ
07-14-2009, 08:17 PM
I have an OJ wakeboard prop on my boat and it is a noisey prop. No damage I have just heard that the OJ Wakeboard prop on LSV's can be loud.

I am looking for a spare and might consider an ACME prop but I always think of Wyle E Coyote and all the crap he got from ACME. I don't think anything he ever ordered worked without driving his head into the ground or through a rock. That darn Road Runner always kicked his tail.

OJ props on the other hand are a bit loud and brash just the the Juice himself. I used to think having an OJ prop could get me out of anything I could ever get into. I guess even the juice gets squeed once in a while.

On a serious note, I have heard OJ's are more forgiving and less performance oriented. They can take some hard knocks and be okay. ACME is more of a performance oriented prop that is less forgiving and more prone to damage.

My shop, AWS, recommends the Juice, OJ

mmandley
07-15-2009, 06:06 PM
Hey Robert, i was wondering this myself. I know when i start to give throttle i get a lot of noise under the boat, almost like vibration and whining at the same time.

AWS went for a ride to listen and said its normal noise but i have never liked it. Tends to be right at no wake speed. LOL.

Does this mean Fierah is griping about going so slow? LOL

RobertJ
07-15-2009, 07:49 PM
mmandley,

I think it means that the OJ prop is a noisey bugger. I had the same test drive with the guys after I pick-up my boat. Gerry, along with others, say it is a normal noise for that OJ on an LSV. Bummer because it is quite annoying.

I am leaning towards getting a spare prop and I might go the ACME Wakeboard prop route, or the other factory OJ prop that is 13.7 X ? . Either way I think the spare will become my primary if it is quiter and has the performance to pull my 3 bills out of the water.

mmandley
07-18-2009, 06:49 PM
If you do go this route let me know. Id be interested if knowing its quieter. If so i will upgrade the prop next year as well. When we are going slow i always think the floor is coming apart from the noise lol.