PDA

View Full Version : ballast fills without pump

dkremp
06-14-2009, 01:29 AM
I have a 06 Outback with the 400 lb rear ballast. When underway the ballast fills without turning on the pump unless I close the manual shut off valve in the motor compartment. Is this normal? If not please let me know what the fix is for it as it seems kind of strange to have to go in the motor compartment everytime you want to switch to empty ballast.
Thanks,
Doug

lowdrag
06-14-2009, 07:51 AM
Check the pump manifold where the strainer and valves are. The valves that control the water flow are solenoids and are pretty much the same as those used for water sprinkler systems. There should be a small black lever on each one of them that switches it from being constantly open to manual control which opens and closes it when you activate the ballast switch. Yours are probably set wrong allowing water to flow into the ballast system from the pressure that is built up when the boat is moving.

madriding1
06-22-2009, 11:20 AM
I have an 08 LSV and mine just started doing the same thing. I have checked the tabs on the valves and they are correct. Any other suggestions?

SoTX
06-23-2009, 02:19 PM
I have an 08 LSV and mine just started doing the same thing. I have checked the tabs on the valves and they are correct. Any other suggestions?

Same here only on the starboard side does mine do this. Its friggin irritating.

madriding1
06-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Well I am going to pull the valves apart tonight and see if something is preventing them from closing. I also have an email out to my dealer. I will let you know what I find...if anything.

ian ashton
06-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Mine also just started doing the same thing this season. I think it has something to do with the ballast system being winterized, and the antifreeze damaging the pumps. I haven't had a chance to take it to the dealer yet.

helix_rider
06-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Just for kicks, before you guys go to the dealer, etc., flip that little black switch that was mentioned to the position it is 'not' currently on. I forget now what the label is, but for some reason it always seemed backwards to me...the setting which I thought would be for pump only was actually for free flow (and vice versa)

mofierka
06-25-2009, 03:53 PM
I have had all sorts of problems with my ballast, from relays to valves to switches and fuses. Unfortunately the black switches on the valves have never been the problem. Although I would suggest checking that first. It's never that easy for me. I have had the same problem and I would check the piece on top of the selnoid valve. It is black and has two wires coming off the top. When you unscrew it you can turn the appropriate switch off and on and it should pop in and out. Even if it does pop in and out you may need to replace it, because most likely its doesen't have enough pressure to fully close the valve. I have replaced two of them so far on my 08' LSV and the problem was resolved. Good luck

dkremp
07-03-2009, 12:06 AM
I have switched the little black switch to the other postion and will be trying it next week. I believe I tried this before but will try it again. From the replies it sounds like it may be a common problem.

mmandley
07-03-2009, 10:21 AM
I had this start happening last weekend. I went to fill the ballast for surfing and such and all three were 1/2 full it seemed. I didnt think to much of it except i was a bit irritated i was hauling around a bunch of dead water weight.

What i did notice was we filled the center and port side bags. Then if we set a back pack, or any gear at all on the port rear sac it would start draining out the port hole. Its never done this before. I have always filled them up and then threw the empty tubes, and back packs on top of it for space and a little more weight.

DO i need to check my valves for debris? Maybe something is blocking them from closing all the way?

lsgagnon
08-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Same problem on my 08 OBV with GIII. Start yesterday, when filling rear for surfing, the ski locker pop up (center ballast overfill). The switch was off. Drain a little, then when running pop up again. I've check the little switch on the selenoide, they are all in the same position (ok).

I will remove/check the top of the selenoid (black part) as suggest.

:(

lsgagnon
08-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Ok, I think I just fix it.

The problem came from the valve...it didn't stay close. I unscrewed the selenoid (black cap) of the valve and found that when you active the switch the selenoid "get in" (open), otherwhise a spring keep it out (close).

But for this valve, the spring wasn't working, so the valve was always open. I simply put back the spring at is place and everything seems ok.

totalbrody34
08-12-2009, 12:40 PM
my bags auto drain too when i add more weight (more sacks) on top of them for surfing. is there a way to close the drain valve so they don't leak out the drain line?

jasonwm
08-12-2009, 01:51 PM
my bags auto drain too when i add more weight (more sacks) on top of them for surfing. is there a way to close the drain valve so they don't leak out the drain line?
There is no drain valve in the stock system. You could install a ball valve after the drain pump that you could manually close, or you could upgrade your factory bag to a larger one and have it all controlled with the factory system.

totalbrody34
08-12-2009, 03:51 PM
jason,
do you know if the 1500lb enzo sack would fit in the moomba lsv? from the pic it looks like it would fit under there with the stock under seat cooler removed. i don't know anyone that has tried tho.