PDA

View Full Version : Bent fin

insanepolack
06-13-2009, 11:06 PM
Was out today and bent my rear fin.:(

I hit a log just floating down the river sideways. It is not severe didn't feel any effect on handling.

Wondering how I should go about fixing it? Just bend it back myself or take to a shop?

How critical is it to be perfectly straight?

I will post a pic of it soon.

gcombe74
06-13-2009, 11:13 PM
I am not an expert... but I would think straighter the better... its for tracking straight... I would assume you boat might pull to one side with it bent.

how to fix it.. that might depend on how bent... menaing if you need to tweak it or if it is really bent. post the pic.

mmandley
06-14-2009, 11:47 AM
There was a guy here in Portland who bent the front tracking fin a earlier this spring. He took the boat in and im not sure if the dealer fixed it or if they sent him to a different shop.

They did fix it for like 40 bucks if i recall, they bent it straight again with out removing if from the boat.

I would contact the dealer or call a place that does prop repair and run it by them see what they come up with.

zegm
06-14-2009, 11:52 AM
It is a brass alloy that is able to be repaired. I would want to take them off the hull first though. I wouldn't want excessive force on the fiberglass, especially in the opposite direction it experienced in the first place.

insanepolack
06-14-2009, 12:06 PM
I thought it would affect the tracking but I did not feel or notice any kind of pull. I will get that pic in a sec.

mmandley
06-14-2009, 12:06 PM
I agree with ya Zegm but they bolt from the inside and you have to remove the floor and some other stuff to reach them.

From what i hear its a really sturdy and beefy setup they attach to, but I would still talk to a dealer for there input of course.

Northofthe49th
06-15-2009, 04:29 AM
Unfortunatly we don't have any dealers in the Vancouver area
But with all your guys help on this forum haven't had the need for one yet
My kid (insane) had the boat out
It is the last fin that took the hit
I work in aviation with some top notch sheetmetal bashers
I'm feeling confident we can straiten in situ without stressing the fiberglass in the area
now that I know the material of the fin is soft
I'll do a close inspection for any cracks or evidence of
I'll post a detailed procedure with before and after pics for future referance

zegm
06-17-2009, 08:20 AM
Northofthe49,

Wow procedures and workinstructions!!! I am impressed!!! You fit right in the ISO9000 manufacturing world!!!

Northofthe49th
06-22-2009, 10:34 PM
We tried but to no avail
Will require removal and put in a press
Gonna wait till winter
there is no effect in the tracking of the boat
Its the most aft fin right under the engine
So it'll aft to wait
Time to play no time to work on boats thats for winter

Sled491
06-22-2009, 11:45 PM
Whew, disaster averted:)