PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on where to look?

CWS_Kahuna
06-12-2009, 01:33 PM
My boat is a 2001 Mobius, with the carb motor.

I just replaced plugs, gapped at .030, oem idmar plug wires. cap and rotor, fuel filter and a water seperation filter, along with a new battery.

Anyway so last week I got the boat fired up. ran for about 15+ then died, I thought maybe it was out of gas sine the gauge was on E. I put new gas then did the tuneup listed above and now she won't start. any ideas? actually the plugs were replaced right before I fired the boat up and then I changed the rest of the stuff out. Also I can hear the fuel pump whine when trying to start so I am sure that's getting power.

JesseC
06-12-2009, 03:56 PM
Suggestion 1: (Low risk to tester)
Do you have any spark? Have you pulled a plug wire and hooked it to one of the old plugs and checked for a spark? Just plug in the old plug to the plug wire and ground it against the block, have somone turn the motor over a few times and check for spark. The module in the bottom of the distributor may have gone bad (if there is one in the 2001 model, there is one in my 2002). If there is spark, pull one of the new plugs out and see if you can smell gas or if there is gas dripping from the plug.

Suggestion 2: (High risk to tester...only perform if above fails)
Remove the spark arrestor from the carb, carefully pour a small amount of gas into the carb using a turkey baster, have a fire extinguisher handy, have someone turn over the engine and see if she will start, if she starts drip in a few drops of gas as the engine starts to die, if you can keep it running in this method, there is a fuel delivery problem. This is how we found the problem with our Suburban, again this is dangerous and should only be attempted by someone that knows what they are doing!!!

Let us know what you find...

mmandley
06-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Suggestion 1: (Low risk to tester)
Do you have any spark? Have you pulled a plug wire and hooked it to one of the old plugs and checked for a spark? Just plug in the old plug to the plug wire and ground it against the block, have somone turn the motor over a few times and check for spark. The module in the bottom of the distributor may have gone bad (if there is one in the 2001 model, there is one in my 2002). If there is spark, pull one of the new plugs out and see if you can smell gas or if there is gas dripping from the plug.

Suggestion 2: (High risk to tester...only perform if above fails)
Remove the spark arrestor from the carb, carefully pour a small amount of gas into the carb using a turkey baster, have a fire extinguisher handy, have someone turn over the engine and see if she will start, if she starts drip in a few drops of gas as the engine starts to die, if you can keep it running in this method, there is a fuel delivery problem. This is how we found the problem with our Suburban, again this is dangerous and should only be attempted by someone that knows what they are doing!!!

Let us know what you find...

Spray bottle works better then turkey baster, as you can set it to stream and stand a bit farther back. Gotta love old school engine testing hee hee.

Razzman
06-12-2009, 07:46 PM
Even less messy is starting fluid in a spray can! :p

JesseC
06-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Just be really careful with any type of spraying device, sprays cause more fumes than the dripping/stream from a turkey baster. I personallly do not like creating a mist of gas around a running or cranking engine. If the engine starts with the turkey baster, you can pour in a slow stream and the engine will run until the baster runs dry.

gcnettl
06-13-2009, 02:50 AM
you can dry pumping your accelerator whilst you spin the motor over. I assume that you have the single pump Holley on your indmar.

On the port side of the carburetor, towards the front, you should see a lever running towards the centerline of the carb, and on the other end (port side) it will have a screw with a spring around it, with a nut at the top. This is the 30cc pump. If you mash down on the lever (the arm under the bolt with the spring around it and nut at the top) but dont bottom it out, just mash if down slightly, you should be able to observe fuel being "shot in" in the choke horn (the tall thing at the font of the carb with a flap at the top). This will do two things, verify that there is fuel in the bowl and also it will put a little gas in the carburetor.

The pumping of the accelerator will operate this pump, so while spinning the motor over, you can pump your throttle, out of gear, and it will shoot gas into the carb, and since you have airflow it wont be like pouring gas in and it settling into the intake and possibly flooding the engine.

If you do not feel comfortable or understand this, simply get a can of starting fluid and while someone is spinning the motor over spray the fluid into the carburetor.

I would take advice from other posters and check to ensure that you do have spark.

When you say it ran for 15, was that up and running or just idling?

Why did you trouble yourself to replace all this? Was it giving you problems beforehand?

If this was your first run of the boat, and it was out of fuel, then the tank more than likely had a lot of moisture in it. If so, it sucked all of this into the carburetor.