PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Mooring Cover?

Garn
06-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Does anyone know if Moomba makes an upgrade to their standard mooring cover? I hate the design of the current cover. I hate the huge holes around the tower legs. I hate how the cover (to go around the tower legs) velcros to the inside and not to the outside. My best friend bought a Supra and it has a way nicer cover! It velcros out instead of in. It has an elastic stretch around the tower legs for a snug fit. It is just a way nicer cover.

Thanks,

Garn

Razzman
06-11-2009, 05:59 PM
As far as i know that is the only cover they have. Mine is being modified as we speak to eliminate that and other issues i have with it. I'll post 'em next week sometime.

c.rix
06-11-2009, 06:19 PM
If your willing to pay the money for a new cover a custom isnt much more ~ 800 and it will fit like it should a glove

mmandley
06-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Humm..makes me wonder if i got a Supra cover now.

I have full elastic around all my tower legs, with a snap to hold it tight, then i have velcro flaps that help tighten it around the base of the tower by each of the rope tensioners. There is also 4 points that have velcro and under it is latches to tighten the rope around the base of the cover.

In the back is a ratchet system to crank that cover down tight. At the Bow is elastic and it covers the nose almost to the D ring.

This is the day i brought here home. But it shows the stuff im talking about.

jester
06-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Now would a Supra cover fit the Moomba boat? That might be a solution for you.

I do like the moomba cover. I had my boat on the water all last year with only a dock on the left side of the boat. The cover was easy to install and i could do it from inside the boat. My friends had a differnt cover and they had to get on a tube and float to get their cover all the way installed.

Trashy
06-11-2009, 09:40 PM
My original cover is a Westland, which does Velcro out and goes around the tower with Velcro. http://westlandcovers.com

Hughes144
06-11-2009, 09:47 PM
I really hated my old boat cover that came with my 06 LSV. So, I upgraded to '09 directly from Skiers Choice and what can I can say, it's way much better... I would say 10 times better than the original one I had. I got it through the dealer who got it through the skier choices for super bang on price ($550). I will take some pictures when I get around to it and post it up. Well worth it!

Razzman
06-11-2009, 09:48 PM
My logo'd Moomba cover is made by Attwood and while it works ok it's a pain to tie up with the stupid rear rope trick!

yearround
06-12-2009, 12:29 AM
This is the day i brought here home. But it shows the stuff im talking about.

mmandley, changing the subject, but in your pic i saw that you fold the tower legs to the back. i have done that, i have chipped the gel coat too. i find it better to fold the lower leg forward, to rest on the tower itself. the leg will not be able to fold back to the gunwale and damage things.

i might be the only one to have this problem, but everytime i have someone help, they try and fold the leg back, that is how the chip happened.

jester
06-12-2009, 12:32 AM
mmandley, changing the subject, but in your pic i saw that you fold the tower legs to the back. i have done that, i have chipped the gel coat too. i find it better to fold the lower leg forward, to rest on the tower itself. the leg will not be able to fold back to the gunwale and damage things.

i might be the only one to have this problem, but everytime i have someone help, they try and fold the leg back, that is how the chip happened.

You know i was thinking the same thing about chiping the gel coat that way. It might also tare the cover since you are doing pin point pressure onto it. Sorry i am off subject.

mmandley
06-12-2009, 01:03 AM
I hear ya both loud and clear. I normaly have a couple towels folded on the boat when i put those down. Since the cover was on the boat i let them sit on the cover like that. When its in the garage and stored i suspend the tower to the rafter in the garage so its not sitting in the boat and both poles are suspended to so they dont scratch and chip the boat.

I am extreamly carefull about those poles when the tower comes down. I didnt know you could fold them back towards the windshield as when i was shown by my dealer they showed you folding them to the back of the boat as that picture shows.

Razzman
06-12-2009, 09:40 AM
I made a carpeted board that spans the boat for the tower and legs to rest on. I took an ten foot 4x4, cut a bit off each end and re-attached them underneath the 4x4. Then i covered the whole thing in some old bunk carpet i have. The feet sit on the deck top and the tower rests on it. The purpose of the feet? To elevate the board above the cover so it doesn't put pressure on it. I'll take a pic if anyone wants to see it.

Garn
06-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Razzman, I would like to see a picture of your setup. I'd also like to see a picture of Hughes cover. MMandley, that looks exactly like my friends Supra's cover. I wonder if that would fit on my 2007 LS.

Garn

eseebeck
06-12-2009, 03:21 PM
I have a moomba logo cover but it has elastic at the tower legs. it fits really good. So good that I didn't use the poles under it for the first couple months, Now I only put a pole in if I know it's gonna really rain.

I don't like the ratchet, it needed to be modified. Done that
And I don't like the support pole system. It takes forever to use all those straps and buckles. I modified that too.

Send me pics of other cover mods when you get them done. I would like to have a skirt added to the back so that the platform is covered. My boat faces west so the back of the boat gets a ton of sun and after a few years the gel fades more than the rest of the boat.

My solution is to add a rear skirt to the cover and keep it waxed

Razzman
06-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Well i just heard the boat won't be back 'till next weekend :mad:

But i'm having "booties" sewn in the tower leg that go up and wrap around the legs 6-8". Did that on the last cover/boat and it works awesome.

Also having a platform cover made out of sunbrella. Mine sits under cover out of the sun, just need to protect from dirt and critters.

mmandley
06-12-2009, 05:18 PM
Razzman, I would like to see a picture of your setup. I'd also like to see a picture of Hughes cover. MMandley, that looks exactly like my friends Supra's cover. I wonder if that would fit on my 2007 LS.

Garn

I don't see why a Supra 21 ft cover wont fit. Its the same length boat and same width also as the LSV. The Supra is a very similar platform to the LSV boats. The dealer when i was looking for mine told me if you really want more Bling get the supra. Its 15K more and the only real difference is the bling factor. Everything is the same its just a little better on a supra.

guess its kinda like a Chevy avalanche and a Cadillac escalade.

Razz that sucks about the boat being gone another week. I'm itching something serious to get on the water after 1 weekend off. I don't know how im going to survive winter.