PDA

View Full Version : Tower screw

ABC
06-10-2009, 11:36 PM
The other day I noticed that the large screw that holds the back section of the tower together was loose.. the screw that you take out to lower the tower. I tightened it up and all was fine. Then today, It fell out while we were wakeboarding.. I went to put it back in and found that it was totally stripped out. I never put the tower down, so I'm not sure how this happened.

What is the best way to fix it? Can I just fill the hole with something like JBweld and re-tap it? is there a better way? I havent ever done much work with aluminimum so i'm not sure what is best.

gcnettl
06-11-2009, 01:12 AM
JB Weld will not hold it.

Actually, if you look at your other side, you will notice that there is actually an insert into the aluminum that the large screw threads into. this is the part with the actual threads. If this insert is stripped out, then you will need a new insert.

The best way to get this out is either punch it out or drill out, and put a new insert in. You could probably get up with skiers choice or your boat dealer to get a new insert.

Also for a fix you could get a hex head bolt and washer both sides and put a poly-lock nut on the inside.

If you can not get just an insert, then you will have to replace that section of the tower that connects to your hull, and I had to order one a few years back, can not remember the cost on it however. It does not seem like it was that expensive.

ABC
06-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Thanks.. great info.. I didn't even look at the other side... I'll check it out and see if it is something i can replicate, or call my dealer.

ABC
06-12-2009, 02:54 PM
I found a easy solution... put the screw in from the outside of the tower.. I never even noticed there was a hole there.

gcnettl
06-13-2009, 02:57 AM
I was wondering how it fell out and you were able to recover it, as all the ones that I have seen are installed outside --> inside.