PDA

View Full Version : Back from 20 Hiatus

Canuckle Head
06-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Hi Guys,

I recently posted this in the Ski Myths and Legends thread but I don't want to hijack it so I thought it might be better to repost it as it's own thread:

I recently bought a 2007 Outback V and after a 20 year hiatus from waterskiing I decided it was time to get back into it. (I do wakeboard and wake surf too so that's why the V-Drive)

So about two weeks ago I dug out my old 66" Connelly HP Graphite, lubed up the old double wraps (the rear top of the rear boot snapped off in my hands when I put it on) and re-lived a bit of my past. 34 mph and 1st shortline and I was grinning from ear to ear! (Not in a course BTW)

So, here I am back in the saddle thinking I might need to upgrade the ski. The technology seems to have improved since my absence from the sport. I weigh about 190lbs and am 6'1" so is the ski I now have too small? I see that Connelly still makes the HP Graphite but I imagine the materials have changed/improved?

And, because the I ripped the boot, I now face the dilema of buying new bindings for it or do I simply replace the ski? If I replace the ski, do I go with another Connelly or do I go with something else? I see Herb O now has Radar and of course HO is still around. Does Kidder exist anymore? I'm feeling pretty old school and would appreciate some input. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Mikey
06-10-2009, 09:09 PM
Sorry i should have read this thread first as i added my 02. worth on the other highjacked thread.

maxpower220
06-10-2009, 10:46 PM
I really like my Connelly Draft bindings. I bought them for my wife's FX last year and tried them out. I got them for my new HO ski. I highly recommend them for ease, comfort, and feel.
Ski and bindings can be from different companies, but make sure you get the correct hole pattern.
You should decide what type of skiing you want to do (course or open water) before you decide on a new ski. Shaped skis offer a lot, but maybe not the best for the course.

volfo
06-10-2009, 10:59 PM
I'd recommend you take a look at the HO series Comp Freeride and Triumph series. If you are going to do mostly open water, want to ski a little slower so it don't hurt so bad, but still cut fairly aggressively, check out the wider Comp Freeride. I am about 15 pounds heavier than you and have the 69' charger, I would think you could go down to the 67" ski. If you think your old form will come back quick and you want to ski at 34 mph and go through the course, check the Triumph

and "so it don't hurt so bad" was purposefully that way!

I started with the same story a few years ago, getting out my old Connelly Shortline 2 with double concept high wraps. The boot ripped apart putting it on. I went the new ski route. Comnparing the comfort of the new bindings (I have the venom with a pivot rear toe plate) and the overall forgiveness of the ski, it's like the advancement in golf clubs from 25 years ago to today. unbelievably better. My venoms are comfortable, but I would add that the hinge bindings look pretty cool and I love how they work on my wakeboard and I'd assume they're just as good on a slalom

Waynes345
06-10-2009, 11:22 PM
Hi Guys,

I recently posted this in the Ski Myths and Legends thread but I don't want to hijack it so I thought it might be better to repost it as it's own thread:

I recently bought a 2007 Outback V and after a 20 year hiatus from waterskiing I decided it was time to get back into it. (I do wakeboard and wake surf too so that's why the V-Drive)

Welcome back! We need every ski post we can get as we've recently been demoted to second class by Ed. Nah, as long as you are riding along trying to do something behind that boat, more power to you. Whether wake, surf or ski, as long as you aren't sitting in a tube, that's great. I know what you mean about cranking some turns after a layoff as I only skied intermittantly until I picked up my Outback. I had grown in more ways than one since riding my old EP Comp and couldn't get the darn thing out of the water. I've since picked up a 69" Triumph and plan on taking it for a maiden voyage this weekend. My 15 year old son got a new Siege and my 12 year old daughter is getting an Allegiance. Now if we could just get our association to let us plant a course. Oh well, free skiing still trips my trigger. Have fun.

kaneboats
06-11-2009, 12:30 AM
There's two things you need to so. First, you have to ski some to get back into ski form, etc. You may want to grab a couple different skis from ebay or ski it again for this period. Then, you'll need to demo some new skis to find something you really like. If you do the second part too early you might not go as aggressive as you would later. Good luck with it. And have FUN!!! Glad you're back.

Canuckle Head
06-11-2009, 01:47 AM
Thanks for the encouragement guys, much appreciated. To tell the truth, it was like riding a bicycle as the muscle memory was still there. Had a bit of trouble at first on my bad side (I ski left foot back) and took a pretty good spill after about four turns but after that I had the hip on the water. Untill the arms were done that is. :D

Sure felt sore the next day though let me tell ya. The old spine isn't what it used to be and I discovered a few old muscle groups I haven't used in a long time!

I think I'll tough the summer out on the old ski and see if I can demo a few of the newer models. Man, the selection of skis and bindings out there is incredible! Will keep you posted.

Again, thanks for the encouragement!

kaneboats
06-11-2009, 10:15 AM
I put my ski back in the boat last night. Haven't used it this year but my cousin is coming and he is a ski only guy. I'm going to broaden his horizons this w/e but we'll still do some skiing.

Canuckle Head
06-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Seriously, I had forgotten how much freakin speed there is in this sport! And I am a total speed freak! Wakeboarding is fun too, don't get me wrong. But there is nothing like cranking big turns on a rail and feeling that rush as you accelerate accross the wake and set up for the next one!

Too much fun! (insert S--t Eating Grin here)