PDA

View Full Version : Guide pole pads

Kelsey
06-10-2009, 07:35 AM
One of the lakes we frequent has a really steep grade on the launch. When we put the trailer in the guide poles are almost completely under water before the front end is even in the water. The result is that my pads on my guide poles tend to float up and off the poles.

I don't like this because the metal pole looks like a major gelcoat job waiting to happen. I'm trying to think of a way to fix the pads to the poles, but still allow them to spin. This obviously eliminates through-bolting.

Any ideas?

brain_rinse
06-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Maybe just zip tie the bottom of the cover tightly to the pole?

Razzman
06-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Tether them. Attach a very thin stanless cable to the bottom of the internal plastic sleeve and the other end to a drilled hole in the guide pole stop welded to the guide post. That way they can only float so high.

mmandley
06-10-2009, 05:49 PM
On top of the guide pole pads should be a plastic cap. Drill a hole threw this. Then attach a sting from that and run it down inside the metal pole to the vert bottom there it attaches to the trailer, You can then attach it to the quick release pins and you get two effects,

1 the pads spin and don't float off,
2 the quick release pins to the guild poles don't disappear then removing the poles for storage.

Razzman
06-10-2009, 05:53 PM
On top of the guide pole pads should be a plastic cap. Drill a hole threw this. Then attach a sting from that and run it down inside the metal pole to the vert bottom there it attaches to the trailer, You can then attach it to the quick release pins and you get two effects,

1 the pads spin and don't float off,
2 the quick release pins to the guild poles don't disappear then removing the poles for storage.

Interesting, i don't caps or pins on mine. Plain top steel poles, open ended. Cover just slips over.

mmandley
06-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Maybe its the kind of guide pole covers i have.

Kelsey
06-11-2009, 07:27 AM
Razzman,

I'm trying to visualize your suggestion and I think I got it. One problem....I don't think it would still spin would it?

Is allowing them to spin that big of a deal? I suspect it helps to divert some of the force if you come it to hard, reducing those annoying white marks on the rub rails...?

mmandley...thanks for the suggestion but it looks like we have a different set up.

moombadaze
06-11-2009, 07:52 AM
I'm trying to visualize your suggestion and I think I got it. One problem....I don't think it would still spin would it?

I would try heavy fishing line and put a large swivel on the end.

jmvotto
06-11-2009, 09:12 AM
I would not put the trailer that deep, if you can help it. The guide pole abs is very brittle and will break which will damge the gel coat from the metal pole. the foam won't evern protect it deep. I learned the hard way and a $250.00 gel coat scratch repair later. looks brand new now.

I you have to go that deep I would get some of the grey Heavy duty eletcrical PVC ( much stronger than the black abs) and cut it to length and just add another set of pole foam pads. might look tall but will save your moomba gel coat. the extra weight form the hd pvc should keep it from floating. The black abs has a foam core to help it float.

jester
06-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Maybe its the kind of guide pole covers i have.

I dont even have the same top on my pads. That is a great idea. If you dont have a cap on the top you could get some fabric and attach it then do the string thing.

mmandley
06-12-2009, 01:12 AM
I guess i just have spacial pads on my trailer poles. I don't know LOL.

AWS sells the ones i have for 45 a pair i think. I can check if anyone wants some.

I really like them so fare. The covers haven't torn, and it doesn't show any wear marks from the boat rubbing them, boat generally rubs the right side when backing off the trailer.

Razzman
06-12-2009, 09:43 AM
Yeah mine are different, they're open at the top of the cover.