PDA

View Full Version : Z5 Cargo Rack

mmandley
06-10-2009, 02:51 AM
I have the Z5 rack on my boat now. Something inevitable has come up as i knew it would. How or what position do you put it in to get the boat in garage?

I folded the tower down like normal but then the front of the Z5 is sticking like 8+ feet high so it wont clear the door.

I ended up taking the 4 quick release pins out and removing it from the tower and setting it on the sun deck on the back of the boat. This is ok for now but once the boat hits the water and comes home wet i need to leave those compartments open to air dry.

I was thinking, i haven't tried it yet, can i remove the pins on the rear of it, the ones that cause it to tilt down into the boat, and tilt it forward so that the tower sits in the boat, the Rack will basically lay from the windshield to the back seat?

One more thing, some of you have said when you travel long distances you take the Z5 off and lay it in the boat under the cover? How do you make it fit? Can you get a pic of it? I was having a heck of a time getting it out of the boat today with out banging it on anything when getting the boat ready for the garage.

Thanks

tazz3069
06-10-2009, 09:12 AM
I had to take mine off. My son and I pull all 4 pins and remove it. We lay in upside down on the bow when in the garage. The bimini is very lite. I actually thought it would be a pain in the a@% but it wasn't.

Razzman
06-10-2009, 10:23 AM
The very and only reason i didn't get a Z5, wanted one but i have to put the tower down to store the boat each outing and i couldn't see doing all of that.

yearround
06-10-2009, 11:55 AM
our Z5 spends most of the time hanging on the wall of the garage. most of our boat use is in the early morning, off before 9a, and evening, 7p til dark, so the shade does not really work.

for travel, we put it in the cockpit, one corner resting on the driver seat, the back of the rack on the sum pad. don't have a pic of our storage.

sandm
06-10-2009, 12:08 PM
I really wanted one too, but my boat spends it's time when not on the lake in the garage. the old upper tower mount bimini works better for this.
I am really not a fan of biminis altogether. ours has only been opened once in 2 years. I go to the lake to be in the sun, and the bimini defeats the purpose. when we want shade, the lake we frequent has docks everywhere with metal shade canopies and picnic tables.

sounds like removal is the best option. glad it appears to be easy to do..

if you have a 3stall garage, lay a couple of 2x4's across the tracks and put it up above the door tracks? good place to store it out of the way.

Razzman
06-10-2009, 01:12 PM
On the flip side our bimini is always up. 95+ temps all summer to 110 requires it unless your a big cancer fan. :-? I like sun too and even with spf50 and a bimini we look like freaking natives so we take no chances! My neighbor got it and the treatment was no fun at all, and he had to stay out of the sun for a year! Ouch!

sandm
06-10-2009, 04:28 PM
we are spf 30 in the spring/early summer, then 15 the rest of the summer. haven't burned in years. very good at applying screen 3-4 times/day when out. have a nice base tan running right now from slow exposure and will work into a dark tan by august..

Hope I don't pay for it in the long run, but you never know. I see people with ghost white skin get cancer, and people in arizona that have skin like leather and are healthy as a horse.. kinda funny..

mmandley
06-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Yea funny thing is until we got the Z5 we had nothing and would get some good sun and a bit of sunburn, the first weekend we had the Z5 on the boat we all got burnt the worst LOL. Must of been the false since of security of the shade.

I don't have room in the garage right now to store it on the ceiling like to proposed. I wise i did, i can hang it on the wall if id ever finish my second coat of mud, sand and paint the new drywall i put up a few months back LOL. I just have so many other things to do with the boat then drywall LOL.

Thanks for the tips, i think storing it upside down in the Bow will work best for now as theres nothing up there i need in the garage.

Thanks for the tips guys.

jjolson
06-11-2009, 12:36 AM
Remove and install it from the front and not the back and you wont "bang into things."

You actually can travel with it on by following the instructions given by the people at z5. The sent me the items need to make it travel worthy(at no cost). Here is the link for it.... http://www.z5sportracks.com/content/faqs

I have specifically emailed back and forth with the people at Z5 racks about travelling with the rack on following the directions per the website. I understand that some owners will not agree with me but take the information and do with it what you think.

Peace

mmandley
06-11-2009, 06:41 AM
Remove and install it from the front and not the back and you wont "bang into things."

You actually can travel with it on by following the instructions given by the people at z5. The sent me the items need to make it travel worthy(at no cost). Here is the link for it.... http://www.z5sportracks.com/content/faqs

I have specifically emailed back and forth with the people at Z5 racks about travelling with the rack on following the directions per the website. I understand that some owners will not agree with me but take the information and do with it what you think.

Peace

Mine came with the straps from Z5 to attach it to the tower while towing the boat. I attached them and then noticed the wind pressure still pushes the front og the rack down as we have it tilted slightly forward when mounted to allow you to walk under it without hitting your head.

Thanks for the advise on removing it, i will try that next time.