PDA

View Full Version : Junior Ski Advice

Waynes345
06-09-2009, 10:05 PM
My 12 year old daughter is about 4'9" and 83 lbs. She is an excellent snow skier and racer and is gaining confidence on the water. She has a pair of Jr combos that she has skied on the last couple years and would like a real slalom ski. I'm looking for some advice on that tweener ski. Looks like the real Jr. slalom skis are 61" and the regular models start at 64". Would a 61 be OK for a couple years? Bart's has a Jr Allegiance blem on sale for a decent price. Anybody been through this stage with any advice? Thanks.

snowboardcorey
06-10-2009, 03:13 PM
A 61" ski should work perfect, I'd take a look at something like the H.O. Sports Judge. Its a great recreational slalom ski that will allow her to progress yet will be stable for learning deep water starts.

The Judge is wider through the tail section compared to the Revolt so even though its shorter it has quite a bit of surface area. It also has a narrow tunnel and a slalom type rocker pattern, this allows the ski to hook up when on edge and to accelerate out of a turn but it won't "jump" on edge like some of the narrower full tunnel skis.

Scottys
06-10-2009, 07:53 PM
Bought a Judge with the Shock binding and rear toe plate for my 11 yr old daughter last spring(08). She was at the point in her development that the slalom ski in the combo wasn't cutting it(pun intended). The ski was a great choice. She spent last summer making tremendous improvements. This year she's still is improving.
Another option to consider is the O-Brien Jr. Allegiance which is also 61" long.

Waynes345
06-10-2009, 11:28 PM
Bought a Judge with the Shock binding and rear toe plate for my 11 yr old daughter last spring(08). She was at the point in her development that the slalom ski in the combo wasn't cutting it(pun intended). The ski was a great choice. She spent last summer making tremendous improvements. This year she's still is improving.
Another option to consider is the O-Brien Jr. Allegiance which is also 61" long.

Thanks guys. I ordered her an Allegiance from Barts as they had a blem deal that was hard to pass up. Had to buy three new slalom skis this summer and still need to but gas!

Sled491
06-28-2009, 10:47 PM
We bought the Judge for our 7 yr old a few yrs ago now. Z ended up buying the same one based on our recomondation for his at the time 9 yr old. Both boys to my knowledge love there skiis. I believe the important thing is the 61" and the weight. PS a Highwrap is the only way to go!

Waynes345
06-28-2009, 11:42 PM
She loves her Jr. Allegiance. Maybe the Judge next time around. Her and her friend were going to ski combos double after the rain Saturday night, but I left the combos at our dock so they both rode slalom one at a time and each had their best sets yet. My daughter finished a lap of the lake, dropped off and was hugging her ski with a huge smile when I picked her up. That's what it's all about. My wife was on my buddies dock shooting some pics as we passed.

kaneboats
06-30-2009, 03:57 PM
That's awesome! Great pic! You can tell by where the ski is breaking the water it's a perfect fit for her.