PDA

View Full Version : depth gauge question

tazz3069
06-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Has anyone ever changed out their depth gauge. I went out over the Memorial weekend and had an ok time. Many problems with the boat. All are getting or have been fixed already. My last problem is the depth gauge. The dealer can not seem to find the problem. When i was out, and in about 15ft of water, the gauges would not read. I was only getting the dashes going across the screen. Then all of a sudden, the depth was reading then it was gone again. I was still in the marina when this was happening. I stopped the boat and check to see of the wires were loose. They were all nice and tight. I checked the transducer in the engine compartment, that was fine as well. I did notice, when i was doing my mods in the engine compartment, that the transducer was not glued down anymore. So I got some marine silicone and re glued it in the exact same spot. It is important to have this working because the water level in our lake is so low right now. I really do not want to hit an island in the near future. I have been looking at a few different gauges. Not sure if it is a wiring problem or a problem with the unit itself.
Tazz

Razzman
06-09-2009, 10:13 AM
AH-HA! That could be your problem, marine silicone. When you place or replace a thru-hull transducer you should use a two-part epoxy, this from Norcross & Humminbird. I would remove it, clean everything completely off the transducer and bilge floor. Use alcohol when cleaned. Using the epoxy apply it to the area of the transducer making sure to cover the area in question. Then , most important part, push the transducer down into the the epoxy AND with the end that faces towards the bow pointing to the 2 o'clock position twisting and pushing down until it faces forward. PUSH DOWN AND TWIST AT THE SAME TIME! This will leave a very thin epoxy layer under the transducer that it can read through.

What this does is pushes out the air bubbles that form from ANY adhesive. Air bubbles will cause false or no readings as they are another layer the transducer has to read through! I've done two now without issues and have explained to others who've had theirs comes off and they've worked with success. Silicone is the worst as it forms BIG air bubbles.

Does my explanation make sense?

zabooda
06-09-2009, 10:27 AM
I've used silicone for decades with no problems. You really need to use silicone as a temporary adhesive to determine the location for the puck and the original location should woek but there may be something unique with the structure under the sensor. As Razz said, you need to make sure no air bubbles exist. The reason I have used only silicone is I've never got to the second step of permanently gluing it down.

tazz3069
06-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Razzman
As a matter of fact, I did not do as you explained. I put the silicone on the face and just placed it on the bottom of the boat. I bet there is lots of air bubbles there. I guess I need to remove it, clean it, and re install it. Now the two part epoxy you are talking about is 5 min epoxy? I just need to spread it on and place it while twisting, to get all the air out from underneath. If I am not mistaken, there is an arrow on the top side of the puck. This, obviously should be facing forward. i could be wrong about the arrow.
Tazz
p.s. Thanks for for help. By the way, we are going to DonPedro this year. we will be there from July 12 thru the 18. We will be staying at Flemming Meadows. Maybe we will see you there.

Razzman
06-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Tazz i used the 5 minute stuff both times without issue. Just make sure to scuff the area a bit and the bottom of the puck for adhesion. I'll bet that 's your problem, i would say arrow forward too. I wonder who makes it for Moomba? I'm going to research that.

You will LOVE Pedro right now! It'll probably be full pool when you get there! While they haven't displayed the numbers in five days the water is coming up .75-1.0' a day. Five days ago it was 23' from full, i have'nt seen this in a long time. It was 40' down when i was last there on 5/17! We've had thunderstoms everyday up there for a week now!

I don't know if i can be there or not as we come back from Shasta on the 7th, depends on whether or not the wife wants to go out i guess? :D I'll ask her and see what she says and let you know.

danimal365
06-29-2009, 04:31 PM
Where is the puck located on the lsv? I have an outback but am working a deal to move up. The boat doesn't have a depth guage, and i'm not paying the dealer 250.

Thanks guys

tazz3069
06-29-2009, 10:17 PM
My puck is under the tranny off to one side. I still need to clean off the crap I put on it and glue it down with the 5 min epoxy.

zegm
06-29-2009, 11:35 PM
Guys thanks for the good information. On my old skiboat I actually had a Garmin bottom machine and loved the information I had. Just having the numbers is OK but I miss seeing what is actually down there. I want to get another bottom machine but use a through hull transducer instead of a transom mounted one. It would be nice to know who makes the through hull unit on our Moombas and if it would work with a Garmin machine? If it didn't at least I have a location to install one.

mustangairchair
07-01-2009, 11:04 PM
tazz if your looking for a nother depth gauge the faria with air and water temp is cool i put in the other moomba got use it for a couple of days before it got swamped