PDA

View Full Version : noise in my tower speakers

Hummer45
06-08-2009, 11:03 PM
engine not running speakers sound great start engine and give throttle starts a screamin sound in the speakers is there some type of resistor I need on the amp.

ToddXLV
06-09-2009, 01:56 AM
engine not running speakers sound great start engine and give throttle starts a screamin sound in the speakers is there some type of resistor I need on the amp.

Check your grounds at the amp and stereo. Sounds like a ground issue. Was everything fine until recently? You are hearing a serious whining noise, huh?

mmandley
06-09-2009, 02:28 AM
If its just the tower speakers and not the cabin speakers, and tower speakers and cabin speakers are on different amps then id be checking that tower speaker amp for grounding.

If its in all the speakers then you have a bigger issue and will require you to check the entire system out.

sandm
06-09-2009, 11:36 AM
I get it with the blower running or ballast draining. kind of a pita, but we just turn the music off while doing either function.
has been on the list of things to fix for 2 years in the off season, but it's hard to get motivated to work on the boat when it's snowing outside, and who wants to spend time in the summer away from the lake??

it's all a basic search and destroy electrical issue that just takes time and patience..

brain_rinse
06-09-2009, 01:41 PM
I get it with the blower running or ballast draining. kind of a pita, but we just turn the music off while doing either function.
has been on the list of things to fix for 2 years in the off season, but it's hard to get motivated to work on the boat when it's snowing outside, and who wants to spend time in the summer away from the lake??

it's all a basic search and destroy electrical issue that just takes time and patience..

On both my brothers boat and mine (08 LSVs) it was the helm switch. On his he would hear the noise clearly through the tower speakers. On mine I get it loud and clear on the factory system. In both cases we isolated the issue to the stereo on/off switch (wiring the headunit directly to the battery), but at this point haven't gotten rid of it. All the switches are daisy chained together, so my next step will be to hook the switch up directly to the accessory battery and see if that takes care of it.

gcnettl
06-09-2009, 08:12 PM
You may also get a noise filter from an audio shop or online and install it inline to the radio. I used to use them on old chevys to take care of the alternator whine coming in on stock and aftermarket radios. I am not sure if these may be installed inline to the amp or not though, never had a need to look at them for that reason.