PDA

View Full Version : Mobius tower on a 2009 Outback V

bjames
06-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Has anyone changed out the original Outback V tower for the larger diameter Mobius tower? My outback is a 2009 OBV with factory tower and I have to say the side to side flex is annoying me.

Sorry I had originally posted to the wrong location.

lancesaville
06-08-2009, 07:32 PM
It won't fit. I originally looked at the 09 outback V when I was shopping and that was one of my deciding factors, According to my dealer, moomba had test-fitted the larger radacage tower to the 09 outback and it "just didn't look right" I was told.

So you checked all the mount points and joints and everything is tight yet it still moves? You may want to call SC or ask EdG about this one, both would prob have tons of good info for you.

I'm sure someone could jerry-rig one onto an outback if you're dead set, otherwise, maybe swap for a monster tower ? those are very sturdy I've heard and look kind of similar to the lines that the supra radacages use. Here's an older outback with the MT2 tower installed, Good luck!

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/9296/mt2.jpg

Razzman
06-08-2009, 07:43 PM
It's not possible as the LSV has a 1" wider beam, The rear mount points wrap the hull so the mounts would be too wide for the narrower OBV. If you could do it, it also might alter the characteristics of the boat as well being taller and heavier.

All towers flex to an extent, some more and some less. Even the LSV tower will flex a bit in choppy water. I'm not sure but I'd heard they actually need to flex a little. Have you taken it to the dealer for inspection? You might have a defective unit. Just as an example some Mastercraft boats are notorious for serious tower flex and we're talking 80-90K boats.

mmandley
06-09-2009, 02:23 AM
If tower flex is your real concern then you wouldnt be happy with the LSV tower eighter.

Mine flexes some. Not a ton but when i got all 4 wake boards up on it, then the surf board on top of the Z5 rack. Going 30 into the wind with some small chop and that puppy is flexing a bit.

It wasn't as bad before the Z5 but that thing rattle a little with all quick release pins it has.

It doesn't bother me since AWS checked it out and said they all do it, all the bolts are tight and if it gets bad then i guess i have to slow down a bit on the trip off the water.

bjames
06-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Well... my local retailer where I bought my 2009 OBV from offered to exchange my OBV for a 2009 LSV - They are giving my 100% credit towards the LSV which I have to say was very admirable of them. So the new boat is currently being Lake tested and cleaned up.:D

bjames
06-09-2009, 01:41 PM
I feel that I should also clarify, that from everyting I have heard that the amount of flex that I was encountering on the OBV is perfectly normal and that there is nothing to be concerned about, the flex was just a little too much from what im used to - compared to my last boat. I know im being a little nit picky, but I was expecting the tower to be the same or stiffer than my last. Overall I have to say, that I was extreamly happy with the OBV as it is an awsome boat, its just now I had the chance to upgrade without taking a hit on my investment:)

mmandley
06-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Woot nice man. Post some more pics of the new boat again. LOL

bjames
06-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Dealer is Martin Equipment in Edmonton. There service is top knotch, very professional, organized and thourough.