PDA

View Full Version : Rudder loose?

kaneboats
06-08-2009, 04:10 PM
I need to check out my steering but maybe somebody has experienced the same symptoms before and can point be to the right end of the cable. Yesterday I noticed when there was no rider and I was running at cruising speed it felt like there was play in the steering wheel. I could turn left just fine but when I turned slightly back to the right the boat wouldn't turn and then would "jump" to the right suddenly as though the cable was stretching or the rudder binding and then releasing all at once. These symptoms did not appear at any time when I was pulling a boarder, tube or surfer. Any ideas? Thanks for help in advance.

I should add that the rudder feels tight and the wheel turns very easily in both directions.

gcnettl
06-08-2009, 04:55 PM
I believe that there is a grease fitting on the rudder on the inside of the boat. This should be greased from time to time.

When you get your boat out of the water, have someone apply light pressure against the rudder and turn it and see if you can replicate the situation. You may also try to turn the rudder at the rudder, and this would check to see if it lose. It would prob be easier to diagnose out of the water than in the water.

I would look to the grease fitting first.

kaneboats
06-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Well, I know I haven't greased it since the rudder was replaced last year. I'll put the gun on it tonight.

gcnettl
06-08-2009, 05:00 PM
While you are in there, have someone turn the wheel each way and observe the movement of the cable to rudder.

kaneboats
06-08-2009, 05:01 PM
I did that yesterday on the water and couldn't tell anything from the top. I didn't go underneath though. I'll have me a look though out of the water.

kaneboats
06-08-2009, 09:42 PM
I didn't have any help tonight but I pulled the cover off the rudder access in the storage compartment. I could see the pin and the arm when I wiggled the rudder. I could move it a few degrees and there doesn't appear to be any slack at the rear. I could see the steering wheel and while i moved the rudder left to right a few degrees and back the wheel did not turn at all. It makes me think the cable is slipping just a little at the front end or there's just too much play in the wheel.

gcnettl
06-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Checking mine, my rudder really does not have any play in it. I cannot physically rotate my rudder and my wheel turn either. I think it is purposely like this due to the setup of the steering wheel (rack and pinion). I don't know if there is any way to adjust slack on the steering wheel side. I will crawl in and look at mine tom sometime.

There might be 1 degree of rotation each way on my rudder when i try to move it.

Mine is almost the opposite of yours. I notice a hesitation in steering port, like lets say with no riders I am traveling straight, and I want to turn port, it seems like a small catch. I rule this as trying to overcome the torque that the prop puts on the boat while underway.

moombadaze
06-09-2009, 07:24 AM
Also check the 4 bolts holding the cable to the steering wheel shaft under the dash

kaneboats
06-09-2009, 02:47 PM
Nothing loose there. Still not sure-- couldn't find the grease gun.

gcnettl
06-09-2009, 08:09 PM
I saw no way to adjust the steering on the steering wheel side. As said above there are four bolts to check. While under there, you may rotate the steering wheel each way and observe the "slack" from the pinion to the rack. Mine seemed to have about 1 to 2 degrees there.