PDA

View Full Version : Cracked block - LSV Mobius 2003

space4you
06-08-2009, 01:37 PM
I have a cracked block and need to get this replaced (didn't get winterized earlier enough). I received an estimate from a local dealer for a crate motor (new 5.7 liter GM original marine engine) and charges to switch over all necessary parts. He included a cost for manifolds, but said it didn't sound like i needed them.

Any suggestions on what I can do? I like to shop around, and make sure i'm not getting taken, and I've got one other marine quoting me.

How much does a crate engine run? Is there any suggestions you can give me.

Thanks,
Linda

ToddXLV
06-08-2009, 03:53 PM
I have a cracked block and need to get this replaced (didn't get winterized earlier enough). I received an estimate from a local dealer for a crate motor (new 5.7 liter GM original marine engine) and charges to switch over all necessary parts. He included a cost for manifolds, but said it didn't sound like i needed them.

Any suggestions on what I can do? I like to shop around, and make sure i'm not getting taken, and I've got one other marine quoting me.

How much does a crate engine run? Is there any suggestions you can give me.

Thanks,
Linda

Sorry to hear that. You may look around and see if a machine shop can weld the block? It depends on how bad the crack is. You got to find a place with a tall enough cherry picker to get it out of there. Somthing like this but tall enough http://www.thefind.com/family/info-cherry-picker-engine

We had a pretty harsh winter up here for Seattle standards. I ran a little heater in my boat the whole winter as it sat in my driveway. Everything came out fine including the heater core. I have some pretty amazing pics of my XLV with a foot of snow on it and 4 foot icicles hanging off the sides and front of the boat.

mmandley
06-08-2009, 04:06 PM
We had a pretty harsh winter up here for Seattle standards. I ran a little heater in my boat the whole winter as it sat in my driveway. Everything came out fine including the heater core. I have some pretty amazing pics of my XLV with a foot of snow on it and 4 foot icicles hanging off the sides and front of the boat.

Nice man id like to see those too LOL. In Portland we have a wicked snow storm over Christmas. We have a lot of pics. I actually put my truck in the garage for it because it wouldn't slide down our driveway LOL.

Now the boat is in the garage so next time ill have to put it in the street i guess by the mail box.

ToddXLV
06-08-2009, 04:52 PM

Nice man id like to see those too LOL. In Portland we have a wicked snow storm over Christmas. We have a lot of pics. I actually put my truck in the garage for it because it wouldn't slide down our driveway LOL.

Now the boat is in the garage so next time ill have to put it in the street i guess by the mail box.

Oh yeah mandley, we're in the same area. We actually got about 10 inches of snow Christmas morning. We got stuck in that weird cold pattern for about 3 weeks which is unusual for our area. I remember one night it was like 15 degrees and blowing snow sideways. I thought I was in Eastern Washington. We are usually pretty mild up here in Seattle. I actually have palm trees in my yard.

mmandley
06-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Yea i was lucky and on vacation for the first time ever over the holidays. I was making some nice side cash though, being the only one with a 4x4 i was driving my GS friends to work in the AM and picking them up in the afternoon. I was the savior.

The whole time i kept thinking, i get paid to do this and its so much fun. Lots of eye candy in the truck for those few weeks. I always had a full Star Bucks coffee too LOL.

maxpower220
06-08-2009, 08:52 PM
http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1013

Give Skidim a call.

ToddXLV
06-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Yea i was lucky and on vacation for the first time ever over the holidays. I was making some nice side cash though, being the only one with a 4x4 i was driving my GS friends to work in the AM and picking them up in the afternoon. I was the savior.

The whole time i kept thinking, i get paid to do this and its so much fun. Lots of eye candy in the truck for those few weeks. I always had a full Star Bucks coffee too LOL.

Nice gig... there were a lot of snowmobiles on the streets around here... Cops can't do anything cause they have no way of catching em.

ToddXLV
06-08-2009, 09:18 PM
http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1013

Give Skidim a call.

http://www.recycler.com/details.aspx?adid=32392810 Found this one for $1,450... 310 area code sounds like Cali?

http://www.recycler.com/details.aspx?adid=32577589 This one for $950

$2,700 - $3,500 is way too much for a Chevy/GM 350 engine. These engines have been around about as long as the dinosaur. I would do some shopping because you should be able to find a new crate engine for around 2K and a good rebuild from 1-1.5K.

Razzman
06-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Remember these are marinized specialty engines and not just a crate engine. You cannot buy a GM 350 crate engine and add your goodies, doesn't work in these boats. The only common factor per se anymore are the blocks and cranks. Everything now on the Vortec marine engines is made to withstand the harshness of marine life. Consequently they cost a bundle. Talk to your insurance company and see what they'll cover.

ToddXLV
06-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Remember these are marinized specialty engines and not just a crate engine. You cannot buy a GM 350 crate engine and add your goodies, doesn't work in these boats. The only common factor per se anymore are the blocks and cranks. Everything now on the Vortec marine engines is made to withstand the harshness of marine life. Consequently they cost a bundle. Talk to your insurance company and see what they'll cover.

Yeah, you're right... I doubt insurance will cover an engine unless it was actually stolen out of the boat. I had my outdrive stolen off my old Seaswirl Spyder and my insurance covered it.

gcnettl
06-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Jasper engines makes some good reman engines with a 3 year full warranty.

What exactly makes a marine engine a marine engine by the way? Besides the add-ons, it is pretty much a 350 from GM right?

Razzman
06-08-2009, 11:31 PM
Jasper engines makes some good reman engines with a 3 year full warranty.

What exactly makes a marine engine a marine engine by the way? Besides the add-ons, it is pretty much a 350 from GM right?

No. GM Powertrain Division specifically mfgr. marine engines. About the only major component in common are the blocks, crankshafts, in some cases heads and base induction. Everything else is marine specific, cams, fuel injection, electronics, internal components all to handle marine loads & demands. Here's a snippet from their site ...

The same engine that powers your GM truck or SUV is specialized to create the unparalleled performance you can expect in a GM marine engine.

GM Powertrain has designed a number of important features into its marine engines, such as corrosion resistant alloys, engine oil sealing system, marine-specific camshaft designs for some applications, and cooling systems that are compatible with both salt and fresh water environments.

Because GM Powertrain knows the tremendous demand put on engines in the marine environment, GM marine engines are "tested tough" by being run at extensive wide-open throttle conditions, under load, when subject to the Marine GED Test Schedule (Global Engine Durability).

Even things like water pumps & freeze plugs are different using brass internals or solid brass to resist corrosion. Marine internals like the rockers are rollers to handle the loads. Marine engines take a beating, think about it on & off the throttle dozens of times an outing without the luxury of a variable gear transmission to spread the load.

Razzman
06-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Yeah, you're right... I doubt insurance will cover an engine unless it was actually stolen out of the boat. I had my outdrive stolen off my old Seaswirl Spyder and my insurance covered it.

I've heard of some marine insurance covering it. Can't remember which ones it was though.

mmandley
06-09-2009, 02:57 AM
Yea Razz is makign the right point about a Marine engine.

Also think about how often do you have your car engine at 4K rpms for any extended amount of time. These engines are designed to be at 4K+ RPMs all day long and not fail you.

They are designed to rev quickly and handle a constant load from the boat and towables at high RPMs for long periods of time.

Working on the engine is the same as a car engine except different torque specs on some bolts and of course different brands of parts but the gist of the engine is the same.

mmandley
06-09-2009, 03:00 AM
I've heard of some marine insurance covering it. Can't remember which ones it was though.

I dont see why insurance wouldn't cover it. They cover your car engine when you mash the go pedal till it doesn't go anymore.

Wouldn't it be the same? You pay the deductible and your good to go?

Course i dont know car insurance that well eighter so maybe its changed but i worked on all kinds of cars at Ford they were being paid by the car insurance and they wernt accident repairs.

kaneboats
06-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Don't assume it's not covered. Most boat policies are all risk coverage. So unless there's a freezing or similar exclusion it would likely be covered.

Form&Function
06-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Only difference between a 350 and a marine 350 is high nickel content in the block and brass freeze plugs to combat rust.You could use a regular block and change the plugs to brass but it won't last as long.

Razzman
06-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Form your right about that, but how many peeps will go to that extent of trouble? Replacing a block is a daunting task and impossible for those that are not mechanics. These engines run at extremely close tolerances now and unless your a tech you won't have the means to do it. A shop will charge more to R&R a block versus a long block or complete engine.

qb12
06-10-2009, 11:37 AM
I dont see why insurance wouldn't cover it. They cover your car engine when you mash the go pedal till it doesn't go anymore.

Wouldn't it be the same? You pay the deductible and your good to go?

Course i dont know car insurance that well eighter so maybe its changed but i worked on all kinds of cars at Ford they were being paid by the car insurance and they wernt accident repairs.

man, hate to tell you but your car insurance would not cover the engine unless the engine itself was the result of a covered loss. ie collision or comp (vandalism).

it would be considered a maintance issue, thus your $$$$$.

mmandley
06-10-2009, 05:54 PM
man, hate to tell you but your car insurance would not cover the engine unless the engine itself was the result of a covered loss. ie collision or comp (vandalism).

it would be considered a maintance issue, thus your $$$$$.

Humm, ill have to call my Allstate agent and check this out then. Last i was told anything and everything is covered by the insurance when it comes to mechanical, you just pay the deductible. Now your rate will increase considerably because you did this which is why most people don't do it.

When i was at Ford we had people getting new engines and transmissions all the time from there insurance companies. It might have changed of course. Like i mentioned i could be wrong in deed.

Luckly i bought a 100K bumper to bumper 51K part warranty on big blue. Everything but fluids, breaks, and tires are covered for 50 buck deductible.

ToddXLV
06-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Humm, ill have to call my Allstate agent and check this out then. Last i was told anything and everything is covered by the insurance when it comes to mechanical, you just pay the deductible. Now your rate will increase considerably because you did this which is why most people don't do it.

When i was at Ford we had people getting new engines and transmissions all the time from there insurance companies. It might have changed of course. Like i mentioned i could be wrong in deed.

Luckly i bought a 100K bumper to bumper 51K part warranty on big blue. Everything but fluids, breaks, and tires are covered for 50 buck deductible.

I don' think so. I agree with QB12. Your engine is usually not covered by your standard auto insurance. You would have to buy a seperate drivetrain policy to cover the engine, tranny etc. That is usually an extension of the factory warranty that you pay extra for. Now I have never seen a policy like this on a boat but I am sure somebody underwrites it out there. I know I have 3 more years left on my Indmar warranty due to manufacturer defect. But it does not cover me if I crack my block. That is considered owner neglect and I don't think any insurance policy would cover that. So if you have beat the crap out of your engine and you want a new one, just don't winterize it and let the block crack and you will get a brand new engine in the spring? Wouldn't that be nice.