PDA

View Full Version : Trailer problems

moombapilot
06-08-2009, 09:25 AM
Need help....
our 2002 Outback trailer has problems
it is a Boatmate trailer with a single axle , torsion bar axle ( or suspension) , has sort of a trailing arm that moves the CL of the wheel to about 6 inches aft of the axle that is inserted into the tubular metal boat trailer frame, using a spline type shaft ....

any way it appears to have ?? rotated to the wheel has moved upwards .... wallowing the trailer to lower, resulting in the wheel rubbing (and if used with boat on it ) will damage boat tire and inner fender.. which is a vinyl material.

We have attempted to remove, we can not,
any one have any knowledge of this ??
HELP..... please

thanks
Moombapilot

brownski
06-08-2009, 09:40 AM
can you post any pics, hard to visualize what you have going on.

cpudoktr
06-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Had the same problem a few years ago with my 2002 Mobius trailer. Boatmate ended up replacing the torsion axle under warranty claiming that they recieved a "bad batch" around the time my trailer was manufactured. They said it would have went out sooner if I used my trailer more. I basically only trailer a few times a year. Once to the lake in the spring (then on lift), then off again in the fall for winter storage. Not sure if you situation is similar but it sounds like.

moombapilot
06-08-2009, 12:07 PM
I guess I will call Boatmate, I emailed them but have not heard back......
I am in the same boat... we put the boat in in spring, trailer sits , until boat comes out in fall..... our guess in 7 years we may at the most a couple hundred miles on the trailer.

thank you
Moomba pilot

moombapilot
06-08-2009, 05:16 PM
cpudoktor

You were spot on, Boatmate answered the email...... axle manufacturer (not Boatmate) had problems in 2002 with defective torsion cartridge.... it can not be disassembled to repair , good news they will replace the unit, charges applicable, if I want it painted to match trailer, shipping, etc.

I asked about replacing both , the failed unit and the side not failed..... they will replace the failed unit but not the other side..... will sell it to me, or wait until it fails which it may happen.............. I am wondering how many others with 2002 Boatmate trailers have had the same issue....

again thanks

Moombapilot.

Life is not a final exam....... it's daily pop quizzes.

gcnettl
06-08-2009, 10:00 PM
My trailer is a 2005, single axle, and the problem I had was that the wheel bowed in at the top, and out at the bottom. It was actually so bad that one wheel popped off, broke all of the studs on the wheel. This was because the wheel was out so bad it put pressure against the studs. This happened on the interstate, luckily no one died. After replacing everything, got new tires, and the tires wore horribly on the inside to the wires, in only a couple thousand miles. I always trailer with no ballast or added weight. I finally replaced the whole axle, with an axle from boatmate, no warranty. I will never buy a boat this size with only a single axle trailer ever again. Logic told me when I purchased this boat that a single axle was no match for the weight of a boat this size.

moombasurf
06-15-2009, 12:01 AM
Sounds like the same problem just occured to me today, took the boat out of the water and the tire was rubbing against the fender, didn't notice it until it started to smoke. Will try contacting Boatmate to see what they can do, they don't post any manuals on thier website that I can see. I'll post what I find out with repairs, hopefully not to big of a job.

moombasurf
06-19-2009, 10:50 AM
Have contacted Boatmate, and have been dealing with Jerry over there. Customer Serivce is TOP NOTCH! Jerry is a completely knowledgable and friendly. It's nice to see companies still strieve for good customer service. Hat's off to Boatmate. They have taken in my service request and with in a few days should have the new torsion axle on its way. With in less than two weeks I hope to be back on the water again. I am located in Northern Canada about 9 hours from the closest dealer so I will be replacing the torsion axle myself. I will post how the job goes. Don't hesitate to contact Boatmate, just google them and call the 1-800 number.

mcdye
06-19-2009, 11:09 AM
I gather that year they offered both torsion and leaf. My 02 has leaf springs.

zegm
06-20-2009, 09:39 AM
All the boatmate trailer for the past few years that I have seen are torsion axles. There is nothing wrong with the leaf spring axles unless you start having corrosion issues and on a fresh water boat this might take YEARS. On a boat that is being used in salt water I would only go with torsion axles. I know I am replacing 4 leaf springs on my salt water fishing boat (trailer is 4 years old and you can't even recognize the springs)! If I was smart I would replace them with torsion axles but there is a big cost difference and I would have to modify the trailer to accept them. And this was another reason I like Moomba, inexpensive boat (relatively speaking of course) and a great trailer!

shotrod34
06-28-2009, 09:30 PM
My Moomba Outback is a 2002. I only trailer about 10 miles per year. Put in in the Spring (I'm late this year, been too busy) take out in the Fall. I got ready to put my boat in and noticed the fender sitting on the tire.
Thanks for your post, it helped me troubleshoot a lot faster.
I will contact Boatmate and replace myself. I will post the details of my repair.