PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure issues

moombapilot
06-08-2009, 09:16 AM
HI new to forum,
when returning our 2002 outback back to service ( after winter storage) into fresh water lake, it has never seen salt water.

OIL Pressure gauge reads over 45PSI at IDLE and when RPM's are up to running down the lake.... gauge is almost pegged at 80???? LAST Season it ran perhaps 15 at idle and near or in 40s when warmed up and near full power....
As for now we are parked at dock until figuring this out. DUE to trailer issue ... that is another discussion.

OIL level is in the NORMAL area on dip stick, engine warm sitting level at dock, at winterizing we, drained oil , changed filter, also changed fuel filter & Impeller for raw water pump.

Is there a method to check the sending unit and or gauge for accuracy

thanks
Moombapilot.

mmandley
06-08-2009, 04:56 PM
I cant think of a way to test that gauge for accuracy other then installing a remote sensing unit.

Installing a different gauge.

When you changed the oil did you use a heavier weight? Also since it just came out of storage you might have a clog someplace. I know this isn't what you want to hear but if the system is clogged slightly it will raise the pressure a lot.

If your using the same weight oil as last year, then get a cheap oil pressure gauge from an auto parts store, hook it up and compare readings.

If the new gauge reads closer to what your expecting from last years average then you have a bad gauge or bad ground connection.

If the new gauge reads high also then call a couple shops and see if they think its the sending unit or something else.

moombapilot
06-08-2009, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the reply..... guess we do the other gauge route first and check electrical connections.... as I think any oxidation etc. would create some resistance and cause incorrect reading....

I was hoping for the easy fix as the dealer is +/- 130 miles away, and the trailer has issues.

Thank you again
Moombapilot

Appleknocker
06-12-2009, 09:54 PM
I currently have the same issue with my gauge. Took it out of storage and while running it on a fake lake I noticed the oil pressure was high, almost exactly like what you are describing. I took it to the dealer and they checked the gauge and the sending unit and both seem to be fine. They think it's the switch in the back (whatever that is).

It's tough when the dealer is that far away, but I would bite the bullet and have them check it out before you dump a bunch of money into things that may or may not fix the problem.