PDA

View Full Version : Stereo turns off

xlvgg
06-07-2009, 11:36 PM
I have a 07 xlv w/ kenwood mp 232, and excelon kac-x542 amp. This year when I turn it up past 20 or so it shuts off. It has not done this in the past. Does anyone have a suggestion? In the past we could turn it up and the kids could hear it on the tube. Now it shuts off when we turn it up.

mmandley
06-07-2009, 11:40 PM
My amps did this when the battey voltage got low. There wasn't enough voltage left to run the amp because it was on the second battery and i didn't have it charging.

Id have to assume your issue isn't the battery, if you haven't had the boat out yet and your having this problem, id be checking the wires. Maybe a speaker is shorting and over loading the amp and causing it to go to safe mode.

If you have changed anything since last time it worked well then i would go back and double check those upgrades, changes.

If nothing has been changed then it would most likely be a bad connection and this is causing some sort of short.

Newty? Razzman?

xlvgg
06-07-2009, 11:52 PM
Thanks mmandley. I haven't changed anything from last year. My boat has two batteries and, I usually run it on one battery while we are out just so I know I have a charged one if something happens to the one we are using. I will have to check to see if that makes a difference. How would I know if a speaker has a short? When the volume is down lower I checked all of the speakers and they seem to be working fine.

newty
06-08-2009, 12:18 AM
Yup! voltage issue. Charge those puppies up and let us know what happens.

jester
06-08-2009, 12:35 AM
My friend had the same issue with his wakesetter. All his amps where on the second battery and that battery would not hold a charge. The amps would turn on when he was under full power but anytime he cut power the amp would turn off. Hope this helps.

insanepolack
06-08-2009, 12:45 AM
I had the same thing happen to me. I charged up the battery and sure enough I could crank the tunes again.

xlvgg
06-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Thanks guys I will try that. I appreciate the quick response. The kids need their tunes ya know. Thanks

Razzman
06-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Assuming you have a Perko or battery selector switch, how do you switch batteries when using the boat? Do you trickle charge the batts when the boat sits for awhile?

xlvgg
06-08-2009, 10:57 AM
I normally don't do anything with the battery between uses. We try to get out weekly and have never had a issue. On this last trip I do not remember if I had the selector on 1&2 or just drawing from one battery. Should I be doing some sort of charging between uses?

Razzman
06-08-2009, 11:08 AM
If the boat is used regularly then nothing is needed to maintain batteries. Battery 1 should be your starting battery, a group 24. Batt 2 should be a deep cycle batt, group 27. Assuming (I hate that word) the amp is connected to Batt 2 correctly the sequence should be as follows with the battery switch.

Starting - batt 1
Engine on, running boat - batt 1/2 or both
Parked listening to tunes - batt 2

Forgetting to switch while doing any of the above can either drain batts or fail to charge them resulting in your issue.

RYAN
06-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Ok, ive got the same problem, tried the trickle charge works for awhile then back to the same. do i need to change decks or just go with out the amp to save on power?

Razzman
06-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Give us a bit more info Ryan. What's your stereo setup? Single or dual batts? Battery switch?

insanepolack
06-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Ok, ive got the same problem, tried the trickle charge works for awhile then back to the same. do i need to change decks or just go with out the amp to save on power?

new battery???

Razzman
06-08-2009, 01:35 PM
It very well could be a bad batt or simply the way the Perko switch is utilized. One crucial element to extended battery lif is making sure it has a charge throughout the off season. Placing them on a automatic trickle charger is the only way to ensure that. A battery that sits for months on end that is not recieving a charge will loose capacity to the point of what is happening here. I pull my batts when the season is over and place them on trickle chargers on the bench until the first season outing every year and have never had battery issues on any of my boats.

1LOKMOOMBA
06-08-2009, 11:45 PM
Are your rear speakers wired in parallel, I had an issue also when I cranked it up, head unit would shut off. There was two speakers per side (2 ohm load). I disconnected the rear speakers problem went away. I don't have an amp feeding those speakers yet. Hope that helps.

RYAN
06-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Im rocking the old school fosgate punch 150 with one 12`` fosgate, new battery( tried the two battery, didnt make much of a difference) polk 6.5 x 4 with a sony deck. any ideas?--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Are your rear speakers wired in parallel, I had an issue also when I cranked it up, head unit would shut off. There was two speakers per side (2 ohm load). I disconnected the rear speakers problem went away. I don't have an amp feeding those speakers yet. Hope that helps."

na all running separate.

"Perko switch" ......?

jclay5
06-10-2009, 11:44 AM
I'm about to install a 2nd batt as I am having the same problem with my stereo... Would you all recommend this over a perko switch?

http://surepower.com/separator.html