PDA

View Full Version : Couple o' Questions

yellowa4
06-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Short time reader, first time poster.

Recently took delivery of a 2001 Moomba Mobius and had a few real quick questions.

- noticed to the right of the sterring wheel there is a little Moomba decal/plate - is this where the stereo remote would have gone?

- if so, what brand/model would be the one to fit in there?

-was reading several posts about depth finders - would it be good to go with a factory ordered look, with the extra cost, or go strictly aftermarket?

Thanks very much,

jester
06-07-2009, 09:20 PM
yellowa4,
Welcome to the family. I hope you can get some time to post pic's of your boat.

For your question I think the Moomba decal is for a guage. It could be for a wakeplate or the depth finder.

The stereo remote will depend on the stereo you have installed.

For a depth finder it really is your choice. The factory look is more sleek then an aftermarket fish finder/depth guage. You could find an aftermarket one that looks good with your boat but you might have to shop around. I hope this helps you and i am sure more people will add to this.

deerfield
06-07-2009, 10:17 PM
yellowa4 - Whatever you decide, a depth finder is a good thing. It can keep you out of too shallow water and save a bent prop. - Deerfield

TL7
06-07-2009, 10:26 PM
Welcome! I went with the Faria depth finder (see link). It fit the space perfect and matched the factory dashes pretty good so it blends in. Also, I used the transducer that glues to the inside of the hull (down by the transmission is a good spot). It is very accurate and has been reliable, and doesn't require any drilling or holes.

http://www.boatersland.com/far-12950.html

yellowa4
06-08-2009, 02:30 AM
Thanks very much for the welcome and the details. Like the look of that depth unit, and as other friends have noted, it is a worthwhile investment. Started the stereo build as the boat came bone stock - need the tunes.

ian ashton
06-08-2009, 09:34 AM
Welcome to the site! Where are you from? Be sure to post up pictures in the Pride & Joy section!

yearround
06-08-2009, 02:42 PM
i don't think there is anything special to the "stock" depth finder. i don't think it is a special made for moomba thing. if you don't have perfect pass, i would agree with the faria unit. i like to see the temperature. otherwise, there are several brands, humminbird, lowrance, etc. that make a depth gauge that will fit in the hole and they use a thru-hull transducer so you don't need to drill the hull.

yellowa4
06-08-2009, 03:45 PM
From Canada - Alberta.

Yeah, I like the look of that Faria unit and as soon as I showed the wife the temp display she was all for it. Plus, as noted, really keen on not having to drill extra holes in the bottom. Does the Perfect Pass include a depth finder or would it just be for the temp component?

Mikey
06-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Where in Alberta?

jester
06-08-2009, 07:16 PM
The PP system only has water temp. Some times i hold back the water temp from the people getting in the water so they don't chicken out. Some times it is better not too know what you are getting in.

gcnettl
06-08-2009, 10:10 PM
I have an 05 Mobius and to the right of the steering wheel there is a radio remote, from the factory. I forget the brand remote, but it went to a kenwood head unit. I have since moved to an alpine head unit and no longer am able to use the wired stock remote. I will look tomorrow for the brand or logo on the remote.

yellowa4
06-09-2009, 02:04 AM
Thanks very much for checking - much appreciated. I do like that idea though of holding back on the water temp :p

Mikey - that sister city to the north - Edmonton

mmandley
06-09-2009, 02:10 AM
I so badly want to be able to read the water temps, i dont care how cold the water is i just want to know so i know what im in. As long as its 65 and sunny i will get in the water. How long i stay is another story LOL

At Yale lake i was told by people the water temp was 54, it was 90 outside and except for Fall Creek the warmest water by fare i been in so fare this year.

So im expecting i can tolerate water down to 50 right now before i need a wet suit.

Both times i was at the Willamette it was cold, dam cold, but i still was on till the sun started going down.

Most of the time im warm in the water till i take my bindings off then my feet get cold and its over im cold lol.

pickle311
06-09-2009, 11:02 AM
I have the Faria as well. It shows water and air temps, I don't think I could live without it after having it.

ian ashton
06-09-2009, 02:58 PM
I so badly want to be able to read the water temps, i dont care how cold the water is i just want to know so i know what im in. As long as its 65 and sunny i will get in the water. How long i stay is another story LOL

At Yale lake i was told by people the water temp was 54, it was 90 outside and except for Fall Creek the warmest water by fare i been in so fare this year.

So im expecting i can tolerate water down to 50 right now before i need a wet suit.

Both times i was at the Willamette it was cold, dam cold, but i still was on till the sun started going down.

Most of the time im warm in the water till i take my bindings off then my feet get cold and its over im cold lol.

Water in the 50s is pretty cold, I don't know if I'd ride in that without a wetsuit.

Mikey
06-09-2009, 10:42 PM
Sorry yellowa thats the sister i don't like.LOL Being a born and raised Calgarian its in my blood not to like anything about Edmonton. anyways welcome just the same.

Mikey
06-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Low 50's is doable in a wetsuit although a drysuit is preferable. Last time out we were skiing in 52 degree water. Just get in ,do your thing and get out and warm up,hands and feet feel it most so after numbness sets in its time to get out.

mmandley
06-10-2009, 02:41 AM
Yea this is why i would like to have a Temp gauge. Im told the water is mid 50s but ive been in some cold water, dam cold water and couldn't stay in to long, but then i have been in some water thats 60 and its really warm feeling. Course it all helps with the sun is shinning bright, no sun and for some reason that water feels a lot colder then it is.