PDA

View Full Version : What engine in the XLV/LSV - Indmar 325 Assault?

ToddXLV
06-07-2009, 02:33 PM
I thought it was a Chevy 350 but I hear GM 350? I know it's basically the same engine but I just want to know the exact engine that Indmar is using in my 06 XLV. Thanks.

deerfield
06-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Todd - I thought there might be something about the engine source on the Indmar web site, so I checked. Nothing there with respect to whether GM or Chevy. Try a phone call to confirm. The Indmar corporate number in Tennessee is 901-353-9930. - Deerfield

newty
06-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Chevy is GM. there is no difference.

Razzman
06-07-2009, 05:33 PM
They are marinized GM Vortec 5.7L engines and as Newty says Chevy is GM. The 5.7L Vortec i your/a Chevy Siverado is the same engine as my GMC Sierra. The reason? Chevrolet is a GMC subsidiary, nothing more.

And for the record marinized GM Vortecs are not the same engine as your truck engine, totally different. Different cams, mains, total electrical, induction to name a few and many others you can't even see.

ToddXLV
06-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Thanks Razz, that's what I kind of thought. I do know this engine is one of the most reliable engines ever made. You have to really neglect (no oil, defective cooling system, etc) these engines to hurt em. They take a lot of abuse and keep running like a top. Just think of all of the vibration and bouncing these engines take in a boat. You know Indmar has to retrofit them to keep their track record of reliability.

I finally figured out I had a clogged up fuel filter and put a new one in last Thursday. This boat is running like a top. On good water I am hitting 50mph at WOT with 8 adults. I am very happy with my XLV and after 2+ years and a lot of use (170+ hours). I know we made the right choice. We bought this 06 in 07 new. We looked at Centurion, Mastercraft, Malibu and we kept coming back to the Moomba because of the blaring value. We could of got a Centurion for the same price but with no ballast, racks, stereo and many other things that came on the XLV. Of course the other salesmen kept telling us how much lower quality the Moomba was. But I did a lot of research and the quality and build is the same or better. You just don't have the extra bling that you could put on yourself if needed. I just know my boat gets a ton of compliments and it looks sexy. I also know I have a 2 more feet length and width compared to my buddies Mastercraft where he paid about the same as mine used. Plus my wake is better of course.

I had the Chevy 350 in my old 89 Seaswirl Spyder, first boat. That was way too much power for that little 17' boat but I loved it. I literally scared many people with that boat. They had no idea how much power it had until they got on the water with me. The hole shot was crazy and it would go over 60mph.

mmandley
06-07-2009, 08:13 PM
Nice man. I feel the same about my LSV.

Course ive never gotten her to 50mph.

I think the fasted its gone is 42, but i generally have a lot of wind and water current when i go anywhere near that fast because im running from a storm or headed to the dock because of a storm.

Cant beat a Chevy 350/ GM 350.

Yea id agree the cams and timing are different. The engine is said to be bone stock from the factory, but then again Bone stock is all dependent on what they call a stock build.

I know everyone who has been in the LSV are extremely impressed at the look the ride and the power it has. I have no complaints.

ToddXLV
06-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Nice man. I feel the same about my LSV.

Course ive never gotten her to 50mph.

I think the fasted its gone is 42, but i generally have a lot of wind and water current when i go anywhere near that fast because im running from a storm or headed to the dock because of a storm.

Cant beat a Chevy 350/ GM 350.

Yea id agree the cams and timing are different. The engine is said to be bone stock from the factory, but then again Bone stock is all dependent on what they call a stock build.

I know everyone who has been in the LSV are extremely impressed at the look the ride and the power it has. I have no complaints.

So are you on the river a lot? I am on the Columbia in Eastern WA Memorial and Labor Day weekends and usually 1 more weekend in the summer. That is a beautiful river when the wind is down and the weather is good. But she can change in a minute. I remember going about 15 miles up river to the sand bar (across from the Gorge amphitheatre) from Vantage. Perfect water with glass in places while steaming up river. About 5 hours later on the way back it was like the ocean. We had 3-5 foot rollers with water spilling over into the boat here and there. Thank God I am a good driver with some experience because we had a full boat of people. I know how to power into the rollers horizontally and let up so we don't get swamped. We had 2 girls in the boat that have never seen that before. They were complaining how wet and cold they were when we got back into the cove. I told them "we're all wet and cold, so what"! At least 1 boat sinks on that river over the holiday weekend. I remember a few years ago a boat sank and 3 people died but 1 survived. I respect that river a lot. Some of the most scenic views in the world are on that river in Eastern Washington. Have you ever been to the Gorge at George for a concert? It's just an amazing view down into the Columbia River Valley. The view looks like something that should be in Arizona but a lot prettier.

mmandley
06-08-2009, 05:55 PM
So are you on the river a lot? I am on the Columbia in Eastern WA Memorial and Labor Day weekends and usually 1 more weekend in the summer. That is a beautiful river when the wind is down and the weather is good. But she can change in a minute. I remember going about 15 miles up river to the sand bar (across from the Gorge amphitheatre) from Vantage. Perfect water with glass in places while steaming up river. About 5 hours later on the way back it was like the ocean. We had 3-5 foot rollers with water spilling over into the boat here and there. Thank God I am a good driver with some experience because we had a full boat of people. I know how to power into the rollers horizontally and let up so we don't get swamped. We had 2 girls in the boat that have never seen that before. They were complaining how wet and cold they were when we got back into the cove. I told them "we're all wet and cold, so what"! At least 1 boat sinks on that river over the holiday weekend. I remember a few years ago a boat sank and 3 people died but 1 survived. I respect that river a lot. Some of the most scenic views in the world are on that river in Eastern Washington. Have you ever been to the Gorge at George for a concert? It's just an amazing view down into the Columbia River Valley. The view looks like something that should be in Arizona but a lot prettier.

The only river we have been on so fare is a couple sections of the Willamette. As fare where we go its scattered around as we are trying new places to see what we like the most.

As for most recently Claudia like Merwin and Yale the most in Washington because they are close to us and it doesn't take a tank of gas in the truck to get there and home.

I like the Willy but most of my boat crew gives me the wicked look when i mention going to the river.

maxpower220
06-08-2009, 08:45 PM
I thought it was a Chevy 350 but I hear GM 350? I know it's basically the same engine but I just want to know the exact engine that Indmar is using in my 06 XLV. Thanks.

It is a Gen IV 5.7L GM motor that has been marinized by Indmar.

ToddXLV
06-08-2009, 09:14 PM
It is a Gen IV 5.7L GM motor that has been marinized by Indmar.

It's a stout powerplant. They call the Dell D630 laptop (the one I'm on now) the Chevy 350 of notebooks. Because it's a powerful notebook that never breaks down.