PDA

View Full Version : Overheating XLV, is engine ruined?

flydoc
06-07-2009, 03:47 AM
I sold my 98 Mobius yestarday and today almost bought an 04 XLV (I also almost bought a Mastercraft x-10 but the wake stunk and I ran across an 04 XLV - So much better!!!). Anyways the owner was showing it to me and during test drive it overheated (above 180 degrees for some time). The engine smelled hot and there was a minimal steam. The exhast manifolds where quite hot to touch. When he tried to gas it it would hesitate and stall. We were idleing around for 10 or 15 minutes while he "showed me all the stuff" - balast, stereo wakeplate, etc and maybe that helped cause the overheat . I heard that the indmars may have a governer to limit the damage from heat and not allow acceleration when the engine overheats. I suspect he had a bad impeller or a plug or obstruction as he claims that this has never happened before. Needless to say I did not buy the boat even though it was probably the only XLV in my price range for 500 miles. No alarms went off, but I am afraid that the engine may be damaged because of heat. Should I avoid this boat? He was going to take it to the shop (no Moomba dealer close) and have it looked at with the idea to deliver it to me to buy next week. Is there a govener that shuts down accelleration above certain RPM when engine is running to hot (Bryan Raymond where are you?)? Great looking boat I think what my family needs, I'd love to buy one but should I look elsewhere?

mmandley
06-07-2009, 06:06 AM
First off id be leary of the boat acting like that. Id like to think hes had it in the water before today this year. If not then a few different things could cause this problem.

Idling around for 15 minutes should not cause this at all. We have a small lake here that the no wake zone is so big it will take you 15 minutes to idle out of it LOL.

Id say the impeller is going bad, maybe a small clog in the system, or the water pickup is cloged also, a few things can cause this.

Now unlike a car which 180 is nothing because its a pressurized system, 180 in a boat is pretty hot, the steam you saw is expected as any water in the area or water getting past a shaft seal will start to vaporize. Smelling hot? Yea id expect this too as the engine is much hotter then 180, thats a lot of heat to have in the engine compartment. Indmar does have a safety system on the new boats that will help protect the engine from several malfunctions and you damaging the boat more so by running it. It will put the boat in cripple mode and only allow very slow speeds to basicaly assist in getting the boat off the water.

If this is realy the boat you want, and the price is right, have him take it to a reputable dealer, get a full service check done on it. You need to call the dealer and let them know your intentions on buying the boat and you want to hear the results as well. Tell them what you already know about the boat and you want an honest opinion on what condiditon the boat is in and the engine is in.

This should help answer a lot of doubts you have.

Course you have to go with your gut also, if theres that voice saying dont buy this boat, then dont do it. If anything happens after you buy it you will never forgive yourself.

tdayco
06-07-2009, 01:12 PM
I would be more concerned about he silencers/mufflers they a not very forgiving when it comes to extreme over heating. V-8 engines are pretty resiliant when it comes to over heating IMO.

newty
06-07-2009, 01:54 PM
If you are interested in the boat and think its worth the money I would follow up with the shop that does the work. Indmar goes into a limp mode when you loose the impeller or the engine gets hot. 180 isn't that bad. Its when the needle is burried and the and engine starts smoking. If you are serious about the boat I would go with the guy to the service shop and talk with the service manager about possible damage. I would make the owner get a full service report and diagnostic prior to purchase. If the guy selling the boat really wants to sell the boat and sure there is no damage, he will do it. I have a buddy that is always burning up impellars (he's kind of an idiot) and runs the boat hot all the time. Remember its just a smalblock 350. These are almost bullet proof. But as mentioned before the exhaust is the weak spot. Pulling it out to inspect it should be fairly easy. Just some hose clamps. The damage would be fairly evident, glass blistered, cracks, ect.
Again if the seller wants to sell it hell jump through a few hoops for you.

ToddXLV
06-07-2009, 02:03 PM
It really sounds like the impeller needs to be replaced. Tell him to replace the impeller then meet him again on the water. I just replaced a bad impeller at the beginning of the season and that sounds like the same symptoms.

maxpower220
06-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Does the boat have a carb or is it EFI? I believe in 04 EFI was still an option. Limp mode is only on the EFI boat. If the temp went high, the boat alarm should have sounded to alert you to the condition. If it did not go off, then the alarm doesn't work, the gauge isn't accurate, or something of that nature.
There are several causes for overheating, impeller (most common), engine water pump, clog in the intake line somewhere, thermostat. Overheating could have caused no damage or a lot of damage. Any chance you checked the oil after the run? Milky oil would indicate head damage. Heads, decks, head gasket, exhaust all could be effected by an overheat. I would definately ask to see cylinder pressures and a leak down test results from a shop. Then they still have to find the cause of the problem if those check.

If this was my first experience with that boat, I would continue looking for another. In this economy, you will find something in great shape, running properly for a good deal. Parts are plentiful for SB Chevy, but unless you do the work yourself you are looking at $60-90/hr labor for repairs.

mmandley
06-07-2009, 08:17 PM
I have a buddy that is always burning up impellars (he's kind of an idiot) and runs the boat hot all the time.

I do not run my boat hot. My boat is Hot LOL

j/k couldn't resist man.

newty
06-07-2009, 11:04 PM
Good one!:p

Northofthe49th
06-08-2009, 04:09 AM
I agree with Newty 180 isn't that hot my boat 04 carb OB runs at 175 to 180 normal operating cond
When I first got my boat I was curious to the normal operating temp
I did a lot of research on this forum and found a 30 degree range in operating temps
I was relaxed when someone posted a calibration test on there temp sensors
and determined inaccurate readings on factory gauges
what was important was running at the same temp consistantly

kaneboats
06-08-2009, 11:42 AM
I would continue looking for another. In this economy, you will find something in great shape, running properly for a good deal.

Agree totally with this. If the boat overheated during the seller's demo ride, it tells you he either quit doing maintenance or didn't do it right to start with. This will be the first of a series of problems. Find a better boat.

gcnettl
06-08-2009, 08:01 PM
The block should not be damaged at all. Those engines are tough and I have seen one run so hot it melted the exhaust hoses and ate the flaps off of the impeller. As far as I know that boat is still running great today, three years later.

I would find out what is causing the problem before I buy the boat, possibly just an impeller or clogged line. If the deal is sweet I would buy regardless as long as the problem of overeating is fixed.

If it is a good deal, shoot me the number for it and I might buy it.

mmandley
06-09-2009, 03:27 AM
I still stand on my ground of 180 is hot for a boat engine.

When looking at my gauge 180 is 3/4 to the max it only goes to 240. It reads 180 then 240. Nothing in between that.

A car engine runs normally at 160 to 180 in a pressurized environment where the coolant is being cooled and recycled, a boat is sucking cold water 50 to 70 degrees into the engine and heating it up as it goes threw and spits it out the exhaust.

Most cars at 220 start to have heating issues and over heat at 230 to 240.

A boat id expect if you think about the temperature reaction of what it takes to heat 60 degree water to 180 in less then 10 seconds, the average time the water is even in an engine, thats a considerable amount of energy.

I know if i see my temp gauge get to 180 im going to be slowing down and letting it cool a bit unless its just that hot outside.

gcnettl
06-09-2009, 10:19 AM
I agree that anything above 180 is hot for a marine engine, and is not designed for operation above 180.

An automobile can run 220 under pressure and still be fine. Since a boat does not have a pressurized system, at least not a freshwater boat, then reaching 220 would not even be as bad as reaching 220 in an automobile.

Something is not working right if the boat operates over 180. However, I wouldnt judge the motor is bad because it was operating over that.

BTW, 165 to 180 is normal operating temperature, as stated in the owners manual.

Waynes345
06-09-2009, 10:51 AM
I agree that anything above 180 is hot for a marine engine, and is not designed for operation above 180.

An automobile can run 220 under pressure and still be fine. Since a boat does not have a pressurized system, at least not a freshwater boat, then reaching 220 would not even be as bad as reaching 220 in an automobile.

Something is not working right if the boat operates over 180. However, I wouldnt judge the motor is bad because it was operating over that.

BTW, 165 to 180 is normal operating temperature, as stated in the owners manual.

Might be something as simple as the wrong thermostat.