PDA

View Full Version : leaking drive shaft

purplemobius
03-16-2004, 09:16 PM
I have a 1999 Mobius and I noticed last weekend a significant amount of water coming in around the drive shaft. What do I need to purchase in order to fix this? I assume it needs repacking. Warm weather is here and I need to get out on the water :)

purplepower
03-17-2004, 12:19 PM
Hello Purplemobius,
First of all, you need to qualify how much water is dripping from the gland. Also you need to find out when this gland was last serviced/repacked. If the boat was seviced in the last 50hrs or so and the water is just dripping then tighten the gland until it drips about once every 20 secs. If you are not sure about the service history or the gland has a stream of water coming in, take it apart (boat on the trailer) and repack it. This is easy to do however I would have it done by a boat mechanic first time through.
If you decide the gland just needs to be snugged up then you will need two wrenches large enough to fit on the gland collar and locking nut. Launch the boat just deep enough to ensure the water level is above the gland. Hold the gland collar still and loosen the locking nut. Free the gland collar (should be able to do this by hand) until the water coming in increases, then tighten it by hand until there is a steady drip about once every 20 secs. If you cannot achieve this by hand then repack the gland. Finally hold the gland collar still with the wrench and tighten the locking nut. Test drive the boat in forward and reverse and repeat your checks.
Most plumbing stores carry an inexpensive adjustable wrench for tightening drain collars. I find these are fine. Always allow too much of a drip than too liitle. Never overtighten the gland collar.

CWS_Kahuna
03-17-2004, 01:57 PM
Purplepower,

Thanks for the wonderful answer, I think mine is leaking to much as well so I will try to do as you suggested.

purplepower
03-17-2004, 04:17 PM
Hello Again,
Just a couple of thoughts:
Take the time to inspect the rubber sleeve just behind the gland assembly. If this fails the water will enter as quickly as you bilge can pump it out.
If you notice any abrasions on the shaft where it rubs on the gland collar or alot of black "dust" or bronze filings in front of the gland collar it is likely that you shaft is out of allignment. This would be a good time to adjust that also.

Catdog1
03-22-2004, 09:06 PM
Just repacked our 99 outback this weekend and did a re-alignment.

So, building on purplepower's post, here's a few additional details if you DIY.

Packing size is 1/4". Teflon-coated packing is easier to install than typical wax-only packing.

Use two or three individual lengths ( I've used 2; 3 would fit also ).

Each length just exactly fits around the shaft, with 1 end being cut at 45 degree angles that superimpose / match the other end, also cut at a 45.

Stagger the location of the ends..... so that matching ends of loop #1 aren't near the matching ends of loop #2 ( kind of like how oak floor slats have staggered ends ).

Be extremely careful not to nick the shaft when removing or replacing the strands of packing.

Hope this helps..

If anybody else has other or additional experience, please add it, I'm no expert !