PDA

View Full Version : Crack running from rub rail up about 4 inches

crownken
06-07-2009, 01:31 AM
Just bought a 2007 outback, I noticed a hair line crack about 4 inches long maybe 3 feet from the bow. The crack runs from the rub rail up about four inches. How concerned should I be. Is this a major or minor problem? I thought I looked the boat over. Not sure how I missed this crack :(

Canuckle Head
06-07-2009, 01:43 AM
I also have a 2007 Outback V and have found a small hairline crack about 1.5"-2" in the Gel coat but mine is at the back of the boat where the rear storage compartment is. (I don't have rear ballasts) I did a search through the forums here on cracks in the gelcoat and from what I can tell it's cosmetic.

I figure it may be from opening the storage door and it swinging back to hard against the boat maybe? I too am worried about it spreading. Can it be fixed or should I not worry about it?

mmandley
06-07-2009, 01:47 AM
Welcome Crownken

In both your cases it sounds like a common thing called Spider cracks.

These are small hairline cracks in the gell coat and dont have any significance in the structure of the boat.

These are caused by normal stresses the boat deals with. They can be more common around storage areas for Ballast and Towers, and windshields

Overloading of the boat can cause these to appear also.

So a search on the forum for Spider cracks and you will see several threads and picsutres of these.

Canuckle Head
06-07-2009, 01:58 AM
Yeah, I found some pictures and they make mine look insignificant.

deerfield
06-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Just bought a 2007 outback

crownken - Glad to see another ski boat owner. I also have the Outback -- same years as yours. Ordered mine in January at the 2007 Chicago boat show and took possession in April. It's been a great boat. Very satisfied. Post some pictures when you get a chance. What part of the country? Welcome to the Moomba family. - Deerfield