PDA

View Full Version : Straps from Boat Cover Marking hull

Canuckle Head
06-06-2009, 11:59 PM
Hi there,

I recently puchased a 2007 Moomba Outback V and I have to say I am very pleased with it. But, I am finding that the straps that run from the boat cover to the trailer are leaving a black residue on the hull. It's a real pain to remove and it seems like it's cause some pitting on the Gelcoat. Any idea why this may be happening? Could they be reacting with the wax that's on the hull? :confused::confused:

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mmandley
06-07-2009, 01:01 AM
First Welcome to the forum Canuckle

Do you normaly tow the boat with the cover and straps?

my straps dont actualy touch my boat when the cover is on. I do wrap the access strap around the buckle and tie it off and i put a twist in the strap so its not completly flat when hauling the boat someplace.

As for the pitting, not sure what to tell ya on that one. As for removing the marks Meguires and several other companies make rubbing compound for fiberglass.

I use the Meguires Oxidation removal stuff. It only about 8bucks a bottle and you can feel the fine grit in it. It takes off any marks on the boat including scratches from wake boards and things touching the gel coat with jsut hand pressure. Wipe it on and rub it pretty firmly, then go over it again with wax and marks are gone.

Maybe get some pics if you can of the marks and post them so other can see and give you some more ideas.

BensonWdby
06-07-2009, 01:03 AM
Never trailer your boat with the mooring cover on. The effects you are seeing are the reason for this. If absolutely necessary make sure you twist the straps a couple times before you connect them. This supposedly helps minimize the oscillation.

I was warned about this by a body guy right after I got my boat.

Canuckle Head
06-07-2009, 01:32 AM
Thanks so much for the help guys and the welcome, much appreciated! So, I guess I won't be trailering my boat with the cover on it anymore. Doh! :oops:

I would take pictures but I have finally finished scrubbing out the marks and they are now very faint. I'll try the oxidation removal and hopefully that will get rid of the rest of it. Who'da thunk that oscillating straps would do that!

Thanks again!

mmandley
06-07-2009, 01:50 AM
No problem at all. If you do need to trailer the boat long distances you can also saryan wrap the boat and straps. Install the sayran wrap on the upper section of the boat then install the cover. Then wrap the straps and tape the sayran off to them. This will stop scratches when traveling also.

I wouldnt reccomend the sayran wrap unless its a long travel as it does take a while to do this.

Canuckle Head
06-07-2009, 01:55 AM
Cool idea! I think I'll just travel with it off instead. Or, maybe just wrap the straps instead of the boat. I haven't experienced any other marks from the cover, just from the straps. I plan on traveling to the interior of BC with it next month (I live in Victoria BC, Canada) to visit familly. (Vernon BC)

MEDIC151
06-07-2009, 08:58 AM
I have trailered my boat up to 5 hours with the cover on. I took a couple of those round foam water floats, I can't remember what they are called, and cut them in half. I then cut them to the center hole down one side and would slide them over the straps so the strap is in the hole running down the center. They would keep the strap off the fiberglass and are really easy to put on and take off. Hope this helps.

deerfield
06-07-2009, 10:50 AM
I can't remember what they are called

Pool noodles?

MEDIC151
06-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Thats it. I knew someone would think of it.

kaneboats
06-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Hey, that's using your noodle!

NCSUmoomba
06-08-2009, 01:54 PM
It that what those dang black marks are? I have been scratching my head for the last couple of weeks trying to figure out what that was. I used to trailer the boat always with the cover off, but lately I have been putting it back on when we leave the lake when we go get some dinner so prying eyes won't be tempted to steal my stuff. I guess I need a plan B.

mmandley
06-08-2009, 04:29 PM
You could leave the cover off to to dinner, then install it at the place of dinner, then remove it again. I know it seems like a lot but to just get the cover on it only takes a few minutes, I always find its the straps and making sure its all level and tight for a drive that takes the longest. I can get the cover on in about 2 minutes with help.

What we do is store everything in the rear ballast lockers. Now with 3 wake boards, 1 surfboard, 1 tube, 1 Tomcat tube, and 6 vests its full on both sides. So other peoples gear is starting to have to go in the back of the truck. We have a cover but the boards can still slide around.

Canuckle Head
06-09-2009, 01:08 AM
I guess the other option would be to use 3/4" pipe insulation on the straps. Not as bulky as a pool noodle and would be easier to store.

I learned a good trick for taking the cover on and off quickly. Undue the straps, fold it over to the center of the boat while leaving it on the boat, then roll it from the back of the boat to the front. Voila! I ginormous looking sleeping bag roll to go into the rear storage area. (I don't have rear ballasts yet.......yet!)

mmandley
06-09-2009, 02:35 AM
Nice chuckle

Yea our cover isn't to hard to get off. We start at the rear and two of us roll it forward. IT works really well till the windshield, then you unsnap the tower grips and slide it over the windshield, grab the nose section fold it into the rear fold it over a few times and we keep it in the bow under the seat.

Kelsey
06-09-2009, 07:25 AM
I know you guys are gonna trash me for this........but I always trailer with the cover on, and have never had a problem. We pull our boat a lot. 5-6 long trips per summer. I inevitably get stuck in the rain at least a few times, and don't want all that road slop inside my boat.

The only straps I have are on the rear of the boat, and none of those even touch the gelcoat. What could be the other risks?

My dealership actually suggested this, while I know SC discourages it....what gives?

danimal365
06-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Did you just remove the side straps or is your cover different?

Kelsey
06-09-2009, 06:47 PM
I have the two piece cover which only has rear straps. The rest snaps into place.

BensonWdby
06-09-2009, 07:41 PM
I thik we are talking about a Mooring cover on this thread, not the snap on covers. It's funny that they call it a mooring cover, but give you straps. Like what are you goint to strap it to out on the lake (where you would be moored)?

I use my straps on the lift, and when trailered if not moving.

I try to avoid trailering in the rain, but have been luck since we got the boat, and now at lake place so not much trailering..

I actually thought about using Fun-Noodles for protection and was going to suggest it. Glad to hear it works.

Canuckle Head
06-11-2009, 01:51 AM
I use the Meguires Oxidation removal stuff. It only about 8bucks a bottle and you can feel the fine grit in it. It takes off any marks on the boat including scratches from wake boards and things touching the gel coat with jsut hand pressure. Wipe it on and rub it pretty firmly, then go over it again with wax and marks are gone.

Bought some today and yowza! Totally removed the marks! Thanks very much! :D:D:D