PDA

View Full Version : tower height

clotus
06-05-2009, 01:02 AM
Hey guys I want to upgrade from my I/O to a V-drive. I am interested in the 09 outback V because I hear it is a jack of all trades (ski, wakeboard, and surf) when weighted correctly and the length being just under 20' means an easier time getting it in the garage. Does anyone know how tall the tower is on the boat when collapsed? I don't have a huge opening as it is (6'7"), but would like to avoid having to remove it like I do on my current boat. I am not opposed to pushing the boat in by hand as I do that now on my 19'. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

moombadaze
06-05-2009, 07:32 AM
This will be easy for you if there is a dealer close by-just go and ask them to fold the tower down and measure it while the trailer is sitting level.

clotus
06-05-2009, 03:21 PM
So the tower will fold forward as opposed to backwards? Also the closest dealer is abot 2 hours away one way so going and measuring is not really an option at this point.

gcombe74
06-05-2009, 03:38 PM
I have an LSV... my tower if I recall when measuring from the ground up was just over 10ft. but they fold down going toward the back... you wont have to remove the tower.. just remove the side brackets and it will fit under a standard garage door.

clotus
06-05-2009, 04:58 PM
I understand how the towers fold down. The problem is my garage opening is a little lower than standard. Standard is 7', mine is 6'8", which is a 4 inch difference. I was curious how tall the boat/tower was with the tower down and the boat jacked all the way down. I really dont want to have to remove the tower completely like I currently have to.

mmandley
06-05-2009, 05:17 PM
I don't know the exact height of my LSV with the tower folded down as shes at the shop for a service. I pick her up in an hourish or so. If i do put her in the garage tonight i will fold the tower down and get some measurement.

My house 1970 Ranch Style.

Garage door is standard height for those years.

Measurement taken from concrete floor to edge of stripping that is flexible and Fierah clears the plastic striping with out hitting it.

I do have the door adjusted to open all the way till its level with the stripping and the rails that support the garage door are above 7ft when the door is open.

The tracks are less the 7 feet but because of the way the boat is shaped and the way the tower is mounted ive never had to worry about hitting those.

This is the only real picture i have of the boat in the garage with the tower down. The rafters are 8ft height but as you can see i take the mirror off and fold the tower down normally and its hinge points are the tallest part and clear just fine.

moombadaze
06-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Mmandley, your/our boats-the towers are different in everyway compared to the 09 outback v. All the outback v's-all years the towers fold forward on. The picture above of Ed's boat does show how the tower "would" sit when folded down. "would"-sit as the front tower legs are not secured in that photo-tower is just sitting there as it looks like the are lowering the boat on the trailer for the very first time at the factory.

Clotus, In that case just call the dealer and ask them to fold the tower down and take a measurement for you with the trailer level--would take all of 2 minutes for them to do that. But I think you will have plenty of clearance--and if not, that tower is super easy for 2 people to remove.

mmandley
06-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Bleh and here i was trying to be all helpful and missed that one part. He was buying an OBV lol

insanepolack
06-06-2009, 04:46 AM
I got an 04 Outback. And the way it is sitting right now is at 79 inches to the highest point. Don't forget you can also lower the wheel stand or what ever you call and I am sure that could give me around 6 inches more. I don't think the outback v is much different, but I don't really know.

clotus
06-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Thank you guys very much for the responses. Sounds like it will fit in the garage, now I just need to get out there and see one/drive one in person, but if everyone is correct I am going to love it.