PDA

View Full Version : ouch. '04 mobius lsv paperweight

fdawg
06-04-2009, 09:27 PM
just found out during my 100 hours services that improper winterization let the boat freeze over the winter, which caused a crack in the block and manifolds.

$7k repair job.

what would you do?

* fix the boat and put off that {enter whatever $7k could buy you here}
* trade it in for the '08 in the showroom (that has been discounted since the '09s are in)
* park it and forget it until next season

crying in my beer,
fred

deepcove
06-04-2009, 09:36 PM
If it is indeed only the head and manifolds that need replacement I would get it fixed more a much better price than that!

Waynes345
06-04-2009, 09:45 PM
just found out during my 100 hours services that improper winterization let the boat freeze over the winter, which caused a crack in the head and manifolds.

$7k repair job.

what would you do?

* fix the boat and put off that {enter whatever $7k could buy you here}
* trade it in for the '08 in the showroom (that has been discounted since the '09s are in)
* park it and forget it until next season

crying in my beer,
fred

OUCH, that sucks. I hate to ask, but who did the winterization? Can you get that '08 for your tradein and the $7K? You can get the whole engine for $7K. Of course then you'd have to figure out how to install it. I'm crying in my beer with you.

lancesaville
06-04-2009, 09:45 PM
That's a lot for not even having to pull the motor out, in fact more than a new GM 5.7 longblock. Shop around for prices and be SURE they're Indmar certified techs.

fdawg
06-04-2009, 09:51 PM
i should've mentioned that by 'improper winterization' i mean NONE. I stored it in my garage for most of the winter, thought it would be safe.

i'm going to chat to the dealer about trading for the '08 tomorrow, but $7k for repairs seemed really, REALLY high to me. I'm in the Seattle area so I'll check around tomorrow for other quotes...i love this boat, even more than the newer models.

beer #3.

Waynes345
06-04-2009, 09:56 PM
I'd be drinking with both hands if it was me. Good luck.

jester
06-04-2009, 11:13 PM
Sorry to hear about that. Dang winter we had this year and that snow. I would be well past the 3rd beer if it was me. I would see what you could get an 08 for and go from there. Shop around as you wait to hear back from the dealer.

newty
06-05-2009, 12:04 AM
You can replace the motor heads and intake youself for less than 2000.
They do not have to be indmar cert stuff. All that stuff is standard GM equipment. its all the external stuff that is indmar. My buddy did the same thing to his Malibu. Only he replaced the whole block. Heads and intake are easy! Take them off and take them to a machine shop and have them built.
Dude you may not be mechanically inclined but now is the time to learn. The internet has tons of resources that can help you through it. Its def not worth 7K. Def get a second opinion from a non marine shop. They will still use marine grade stuff if you have them do it. Don't give up so easy!
Fix it then trade it in you be a lot better off!

fdawg
06-05-2009, 12:11 AM
thanks for the encouragement my man -i'm a little mechanical but i've never rebuilt a motor before. I'm def going to get another bid on it.

fdawg
06-05-2009, 12:12 AM
oh, and i screwed up the initial post, it's the block that cracked, not the heads. i think i was in shock when i wrote that.

mmandley
06-05-2009, 02:56 AM
Sorry to hear about that Fdawg.

Well if you truly love the boat then yea for sure check lots of places. You can buy a brand new engine complete for a couple grand and have it installed pretty cheap. Id say under 3 to 4K total if your not using a dealer. They have insaine labor rates and jack up the price on things to make there money. Its like buying beer at a ball game VS the store. Same beer but 3xs the cost man.

moombadaze
06-05-2009, 07:26 AM
second what Newty said.

Fix and ride, 7g's is way to much for head work

Mikey
06-05-2009, 08:59 PM
With the economy the way it is i'd say yah shop around and not necesarily at marine shops. Lots of reputable places do motors and as you' pooched the warrenty anyways its in your best interest to get it fixed and get on with boating. Should be doable for much less.DO GET a warrany on the new motor though and follow it through with a proper winterization .

newty
06-05-2009, 09:43 PM
Have you contacted your insurance? That should be covered! It may boost your rate a little but boaters insurnace is cheap anyway.

2000OUTBACK
06-06-2009, 12:27 AM
If it is a 350 motor... they are a dime a dozen. I second that to file it on your insurance.

Suprahunter
06-07-2009, 12:00 AM
Do you have freeze insurance? I live in Indiana freeze insurance is an option
something good to have here.