PDA

View Full Version : Moomba Cover - mold

dtlaine
06-03-2009, 08:42 PM
I think I have mold on the inside of my Moomba cover. There are round, white spots, and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to treat it. I am thinking of spreading it out and spray with a cleaner w/ bleach. How does that sound?

Razzman
06-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Sounds like mold, in your humidty i would not be suprised. Is the boat kept outside? There are marine cleaners made for that but i wouldn't use bleach as it might ruin the cover. Make sure the inside is completely dry before covering for one. There are vents you can install on the cover as well to help air it out.

mmandley
06-03-2009, 09:00 PM
I was told to use a mix of 25% bleach and 75% water to spray down the carpets and cover for mold once it starts. It will kill the mold. i havnt tried it yet.

I also saw a product at the local shop here < cant recall its name > it comes in a small bucket and has these packets that attracts moisture and you change it out every few days. Comes with 20 packets for like 15 bucks.

I am planning on getting some to use for the boat when its in the garage and its still wet from usage.

It comes in a blue and white bucket.

dtlaine
06-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Yes, the boat is kept outside on a lift. It's nearly impossible to get the boat completely dry before covering. It's just so damn humid!

I'm thinking about buying one of these.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=72310&pdesc=VENT_SOL_AIR_Solar_Powered_Ventilating_Fan_F or_Boat_Covers&merchID=1008&str=solar%20vent

Anybody try one?

Razzman
06-03-2009, 09:10 PM
I've heard of guys using those with success. I would think anything that move air will drastically help.

mcdye
06-03-2009, 10:09 PM
I also saw a product at the local shop here < cant recall its name > it comes in a small bucket and has these packets that attracts moisture and you change it out every few days. Comes with 20 packets for like 15 bucks.

I beleive it is called DRIERITE (sp?).

wolfeman131
06-03-2009, 11:20 PM
I put 2 of these in the boat over the winter to pull any moisture out. They cost about $5 at Lowe's.

Razzman
06-03-2009, 11:46 PM
I use kitty litter, one big tray in the center of the boat and all's good.

mmandley
06-04-2009, 07:15 AM
Correct Mcdye thats the stuff i was told to use by a friend of mine. He said take one of those and stick it in each rear side locker to absorb moisture when its in the garage because i already have a little mold on my carpet in the engine bay. Why is there carpet in my engine bay ill never know but its on the starter side of the engine. I cleaned it and it hasn't shown back up yet.

I know since i started breaking the boat in during April we were still getting a lot of rain and the boat wasn't able to dry out after a run like it does now. Now that the majority of the rain has passed we can let the boat sit outside the day after we go out and i can leave the 3 rear compartments open to air dry in the sun.

maxpower220
06-04-2009, 11:01 AM
MC recommends using diluted amonia for cleaning mold. It will not destroy the treads and carpet like bleach will. And it evaporates quickly. I used it with success.