PDA

View Full Version : Do you use a safety strap/chain on the front when trailering? what kind?

tlatoani
06-03-2009, 06:06 PM
I am looking for something to use as a backup in case my winch fails. I generally don't use rear tie-downs unless going a long distance. Do people just use a short chain? There is a nice spot on the trailer to hook to.

Waynes345
06-03-2009, 06:26 PM
I use a short length of chain with a locking carabiner on the trailer end and a snap hook on the boat end. If you use chain, you may want to put a sleeve on it so it won't mar your trailer finish. Very simple. Some may say that the boat ain't going anywhere and it's overkill, but I think it's cheap insurance. I always connect the chain and use the transom straps.

sandm
06-03-2009, 06:48 PM
I use the winch strap and the boat buddy as the only thing to hold it on the trailer. I have only used rear straps when towing out of town.

Razzman
06-03-2009, 06:54 PM
I use an extra transom strap i have as i have the auto retractors on the rear.

moombadaze
06-03-2009, 07:20 PM
boat buddie when it worked-now its a chain
rear straps for leaving town-
because my lake is 3 minutes away-dont even leave the subdivision to hit the ramp.

BensonWdby
06-03-2009, 07:29 PM
I thought safety chain was standard? Definitely use mine. And definitely use transom straps. I have a friend in the body repair business who sees boats that have jumped the trailer or slild into the tow vehicle. Not only for long distance ... Accidents happen anywhere...

Razzman
06-03-2009, 07:34 PM
He's referring to and additional backup between the winch and the tow eye in case of winch failure.

mmandley
06-03-2009, 07:50 PM
I don't use an extra hook on the nose right now. I travel fairly flat areas, no major hills or curves but when i make the trip to Utah later this summer i will put something extra on the nose.

As for the transom i use my straps all the time. I take them off right before the water, and install them as soon as we wipe the boat down when it comes out of the water. Never toe with out 3 tie down points.

Razzman
06-03-2009, 08:17 PM
I use the Rod Saver automatic retractable units in the rear, never loose 'em! I always tow three point, even locally, it only takes one idiot and an accident and that boat can fly off the trailer or into the truck! For me an additional nose strap is a "just in case" thing.

Look at the pic and reaqd the story ... Boat comes off trailer in accident (http://dangeroustrailers.blogspot.com/2009/03/boat-left-launched-off-its-trailer-and.html)

mmandley
06-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Ouch nice pic Razz.

Yea i am going to upgrade to the retractable ones like some of you guys have. Just waiting on winter. I can use the factory ones i got. From what i hear there an upgrade already, most don't come with straps or there really cheap ones. Mine are 3inch wide and have a level to lock them down in place. Then have these flaps that wrap around the buckle system and Velcro in place so no metal can touch the trailer or boat.

Not the best pic of my transom straps. Id get better but the boat isn't at home right now.

mcdye
06-03-2009, 09:45 PM
I have added a covered coil cable as a backup to the strap and plan to add retractable transom straps.....once i decide the best way to add them since my trailer doesnt have the tabs on the outside of the rear trailer...just loops inside.

tlatoani
06-03-2009, 10:13 PM
So I guess I need to get a chain for the front. Lowes here I come :P

As far as the rear, I've been thinking I should get some straps. I guess it is cheap insurance. I wonder how many times I'll be the moron that forgets to remove them and can't get the boat off of trailer. The retractable ones sound handy.

jester
06-03-2009, 10:27 PM
Yes to Safety chain and the boat mate rear straps are the best. Makes quick work out out of getting your boat ready to launch and you no longer forget where you put them in the truck.

jmvotto
06-03-2009, 10:27 PM
I tow with all three, the retractables may be a winter project. I only trailer twice a year about 100 miles to the dealer. they have straps at overtons, both kinds

reread the question. ius a short chain on the bow that came on thetrailer

wolfeman131
06-03-2009, 11:16 PM
Transom straps are a given and I chose this Masterlock cable lock vs a chain to hopefully prevent scratching up the gelcoat.

BensonWdby
06-03-2009, 11:44 PM
Regarding removing the straps at the landing. Not to worry. There is a very good chance your boat won't start if you leave them on. I had this experience a couple years ago. The straps held the exhaust so low in the water at the landing that the backpressure prevented the boat from starting and staying running. Boy did I feel dumb ...

2000OUTBACK
06-04-2009, 04:48 AM
I use a chain. I bought a short piece of chain and two locking hooks from Home Depot. I was a very cheap insurance policy.

mmandley
06-04-2009, 07:21 AM
Mcdye an idea for you since you dont have a current location to mount them is have a welder attach some L brackets to the trailer for you. Wouldnt cost to much and you can paint them flat back. I hook my transom straps to the lowest part of my trailer as seen in the pic eariler in this thread. When i hook them to the supplied tie downs on the trailer the straps rub my rear bunks and i dont want those getting worn.

mcdye
06-04-2009, 07:56 AM
MMandley, I got the brackets that is an option to the retractable straps, just need to lay it out.

As for the tow saftey this is what I found, it is class3 rated. I brought a class 5 chain link to fasten to the trailer link and wrap the cable around the strap wrench post to take out the slack. no worries about scratches and such.

mmandley
06-04-2009, 08:17 AM
ohh ok Mcdye i misunderstood =)

kaneboats
06-04-2009, 08:48 AM
If you get up over about 20 MPH you should have 3 tie down points. Any body shop guy or insurance person will tell you that the boat can come right up over and into the tow vehicle in a front ender. And that's usually going to be two deductibles just for the property damage. Not to mention what a flying boat can do to your passengers or anyone else around.