PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl problems

SoTX
06-03-2009, 04:37 PM
1. on my 05 XLV the seam between the blue and white viyl have come apart on the back deck on all three cushions. This happened over the memorial weekend. I took them to an upholsterer and he sewed them back up. I also had him sew up all the othere seams that had no problems just to be safe. The problem is the upholster guy had to take up a little more matrerial to sew these back together. So the vinyl is pulled a little tighter and after using the boat again this past Sunday I have a feeleing these seams are going to bust again. Has anyone ever had to have seams repaired and if so did it last. Also has anyone ever had to just re-upholster anything and if so how does that work. Doea dealer do it or do you just order the vinyl and have it done or what?

2. What is the best vinyl cleaner for getting your vinyl looking new again?

3. Is there a good protectant that you would recommend for protecting the vinyl from stains?

kaneboats
06-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Everybody should be using a UV protectant these days. You can run a search on upholstery or vinyl and read the full descripton on how I did mine myself but had an upholstery guy use the old covers for patterns.

SoTX
06-03-2009, 05:09 PM
Well I store my boat indoors so I am not as worried about UV as I am protecting the vinyl from stains from any variety of things food, sun screen, wine, beer ect...

ajsboat
06-03-2009, 07:54 PM
I have a 04 XLV with the same colors you have (if your pic is up to date). My rear sun deck (3 doors with a blue and gray strip going thru all 3) had some tears in it. I just had it replaced 2 months ago. The guy I used did a PERFECT job and charge me $600.

Maybe I could of had it done cheaper. I don't know. But, if you used the right materials its not cheap.

I never realized that it is actually high quality marine leather not vinyl and the white leather that covers most all the boat is actually a light gray. Hold a white shirt next and you can tell.

Also there are many different grains of leather to make sure you match that to.

Hope this helps.

mmandley
06-03-2009, 08:31 PM
I use the Boat Buddies Vinyl cleaner and it has UV protectant in it.

I use this can of spray called Tuff Stuff you can get it al any auto store for cleaning stains. It can be used on carpets leather vinal or anything. And i thin it smells pretty decent.

I would use some sort of UV protectant even though its kept in the garage because just like us, we sunburn from UV rays and UV rays dry the fabric.

Kelsey
06-04-2009, 06:54 AM
S.C. sent out a newsletter a few years back which detailed there recommended cleaning procedures for the vinyl It was pretty detailed and I don't remember every bit of it but here is what I remember.

Warm soap and water should always be the first line of defense.

Fantastik (the original type) should be your 2nd line....

it broke off from there into cleaning different types of stains etc. I'm sure you can find that newsletter somewhere. I called SC on this and asked if I should use some sort of protectant (marine armor all, etc), they discouraged it. I think they said it would shorten the life of the fabric.

kaneboats
06-04-2009, 09:31 AM
it is actually high quality marine leather not vinyl

Are you messing with us?

NCSUmoomba
06-04-2009, 12:34 PM
I too have had my stitches and seams split. I had my upholstery guy try to restitch them and it turned out okay. He claimed that the factory trimmed the excess vinyl after the panels were sewn, thus leaving not much to work with. I can't say if that is true, but I do know that my boat is getting really close to a complete interior overhaul, vinyl and carpet. That will be a fun project.

Razzman
06-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Everybody has their own opinions on this. A couple years back Mastercraft put out a letter to MC owners stating if it was determined that any household cleaner, and it specifically stated Fantastik and Formula 409, was used in their boats then it would void any and all warrenties levied against the interior.

The reason? These cleaners are meant for hard non pourous surfaces, not softgoods and especially not something as delicate as stitching. Water alone over time can degrade fabrics all on it's own, add a caustic solvent and what do you think happens?

I use only Babes Seat Saver & Seat Soap (http://www.babesboats.com/) to protect & clean my vinyl. Conditions the materials as well as offers UV protection. Once a month at least depending on how much it's in the sun i'll use 303 Areospace Protectant (http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=428&CFID=51165237&CFTOKEN=48622117), there's nothing better at UV protection, period. If it's good enough for the areospace industry it's good enough for me! I've used nothing but a good vinyl cleaner topped by 303 for three years on my spa cover and it still looks like new! If in doubt then read this story here about the lifevest (http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=feature.display&feature_id=22)!

I buy Babes and 303 by the gallon and keep spray bottles of Babes Boat Brite, Seat Saver and 303 Protectant in the boat at all times when camping or on extended outings.

As a side note, Sunbrella states that if you have to scrub clean any product (especially boat covers, biminis) made with their product then you should immediately re-treat when dry with 303 High Tech Fabric Guard (http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=429) or you'll degrade the waterproofing and fade protection of the fabric.

Lot of typing, hope this helps. Take care of your vinyl & fabrics! :p

08LSV
06-04-2009, 11:26 PM
I agree with Razzman. It is very good info. I only use "Babe's" Seat soap & Seat Saver. You need to be careful with automotive grade products or household degreasers as they can breakdown the thread used to stitch Marine Vinyl, causing the rips, tears and separation. The most common thread usually has organic base rather than a synthetic and degreasers breakdown or degrade organic material.

mmandley
06-05-2009, 02:58 AM
Well i use the Babes stuff you guys are talking about. I guess ill save the Tuff Stuff for the fiberglass, carpet and plastics like the dash. Goign to have to buy more Babes the little sample bottle is almost empty since i use it each week.

Kelsey
06-05-2009, 06:39 AM
Razzman....you have converted me....no more fantastik regardless what SC says!!!

Hammer
06-05-2009, 07:24 AM
I use what razz uses great stuff,i know if i ever get tears in my vinyl i'll just go to my dealer and replace the whole cushion. Its good to know that your dealer can fix or replace anything with your boat even fiberglass work.

ABUCKOTOMAMBO
06-05-2009, 10:39 AM
I pulled my boat out of storage over the Memorial Day weekend and used 303 Aerospace that stuff is AWESOME. My boat looks brand new! I do use the Magic Eraser from time to time...

Razzman
06-05-2009, 11:04 AM
Magic Erasers, a whole 'nuther subject. Be vewy, vewy carefull with those things! I'll admit i used them too on another boat years ago ... Then i found out something and did a test, they REMOVE vinyl!!

YES they remove a little bit of the vinyl everytime you use them, try it! Get a scrap that has suface detail like our boats and use it on it like you were taking out a stubborn stain. You'll notice that a little at a time the vinyl detail will slowly dissapear! They are abrasive and over time you'll start seeing smooth spots in your interior!

About four years ago there was a guy on Wakeworld who bought a used boat and decided to "spring clean" as it was real dirty, so he guts the boat and using a magic eraser he scoured the whole interior as it had stains, fade and was grayish looking. When all was said and done he stated it looked like sh*t and he ended up having it redone as the magic erasers left it blotchy looking!. Guess he got real carried away!

Be careful with them!

SoTX
06-05-2009, 12:11 PM
Thanks I Think I Will Be Going The Razzman Rout

SoTX
06-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Thanks to you guys my upholstery looks and feels like new. Thanks a million for the help.

ToddXLV
06-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Hmmm, I just read what Razz said about magic erasers above so I may not use them anymore. Anyway, here is what worked for me below but doesn't sound like we should be using it.

The best way to clean your vinyl and get the white parts looking white again is with a magic eraser and method organic cleaner. You know how you get that gray grease line on the back seat and all over the back deck from people laying on it? It's from all of the sun block, accelerators and basic grime and dirt on everybodies dirty skin. Buy some of those magic eraser sponges. Spray your cleaner of choice but I would recommend a mild one so it doesn't ruin the color of your vinyl. So spray the cleaner first then use your sponge in a circular motion to break up all of the grime and discoloration. Then take a paper towel to wipe off all of the crap you just dislodged with the magic eraser. Your paper towel will look like a light gray after wiping. Then take your magic eraser sponge and get all of the junk off your vinyl. I just did mine yesterday and the white shines like new again.