PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change and Impeller Change

MartyC
03-14-2004, 05:12 PM
I've got a 2001 Outback and am thinking about doing the oil and impeller change myself this spring. Would a below average mechanic like myself be able to tackle these two jobs? Any tips would be appreciated.

Also, found an Indmar impeller on discount inboard marine website. Are all the impellers for Indmar engines the same?

Thanks.

Jon
03-14-2004, 07:00 PM
I started changing my boat's oil and impeller when I was 17. I had absolutely no knowlege of engines before then. Now I am a dealer, who would have thought. Its easy man. Just follow simple instructions. Email me if you have any questions.

That impeller should fit your engine fine.

[email protected]

Cryonchick
03-14-2004, 10:22 PM
They really are relatively easy maintenance to accomplish. The water pump should be easy to remove and then open the casing to change the impeller. Just use plenty of lubricant to get the new impleller in the casing. I used vasoline and it worked well. The oil is easy with a little help of a drain kit to get the oil out and to a container. The kits are about 18.00 from Overtons, not the pumps just the hoses that screw into place and allow you to drain the oil out the plug passage for draining your bilge. Good Luck!