PDA

View Full Version : Lost an alternator belt.

newty
06-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Anybody had and issues with thiers? I did notice that the pully on the Alt is about 1/8" off from the crank and water pump pullies. I also noticed the belt had more wear on one side than the other. I also noticed black rubber dust from the belt all over the alternator. The belt never broke but somehow came off. I took the alt to a shop and had it tested, and was told it was in good working order. Would that much offset create a problem after 90hrs on it. I bought an extra belt and am keeping it on the boat for the time being.
Any thoughts?

mmandley
06-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Well if its only off that much can you bolt a washer to the Alternator bracket? Depending on what direction the belt is out of alignment. If its rubbing hard enough to cause the belt to chafe then it can become a problem. The belts are lose enough to ride in the channel but not slip. Yours sounds like its binding up as it spins and is actually slipping in the channel.

Maybe its too tight? Loosen the bracket just a little to allow a little more slop in the belt. As long as its not squealing its ok.

newty
06-05-2009, 09:47 PM
I found the problem. The belt had been riding on its side for who knows how long. And it just finally gave up. That explained the funny wear on half of the top and one side of the belt. I put a new belt on and everything looks good.
I did talk to the alternater guy and he said he could build me a 200amp marine spec alt for $180. That should keep that stereo going!!:p

mmandley
06-06-2009, 05:52 AM
Nice Newty nice man.

Yea im pretty sure those belts are made to be running on there side.. So how do you think it got on its side to begin with?

newty
06-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Yea, not so sure about that. Ya know the one thing that bothers me is I paid over $600 for my hundred hour service and it was never caught. There is a box that says "Check belts and hoses" that was checked on the service sheet.

mmandley
06-06-2009, 09:29 AM
Maybe check belts and hoses is strickly to see if you have them. Not to see if there installed and working properly LOL.

So is the alternator belt a single belt? Or is it a serpentine belt like our trucks? I could go look but then id have to take the boat cover off since its in the street waiting for Sunday.

newty
06-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Just a single V-belt. Now I carry a spare. $12 insurance. Its a indmar 7430.
I highly suggest carrying a spare. You will also need a 6mm allen, flat head screw driver, (to remove the pump hoses) and a Polish Torque Wrench (crescent wrench).