PDA

View Full Version : Tracking fin removal

Joran
06-01-2009, 09:39 PM
I bent my tracking fins pretty bad (front two) and need to replace/repair them. But I can't see how to get them off. I tried using a hex wrench on the heads of the fasteners holding them in, but they seem to spin freely. Even better, the gas tank sits right on top of where they mount. How do I take them off?

Razzman
06-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Well unfortunately you'll have to remove the tank. If they're like every other inboard i've seen they have locknuts on the inside. Usually they are also sealed to the hull with marine sealant and it's not going to be fun removing that either.

Joran
06-01-2009, 10:55 PM
great. Would have killed them to just have the fins go into threaded holes wouldn't it.

mmandley
06-02-2009, 02:28 AM
A guy who has a MB 52 ran his boat across a shelf and was able to take the boat in and they fixed them on the boat for like 40 bucks each if i recall just a few months ago. If there just bent and need to be straightened id look into that over taking the tank out and replacing them.

Cant find the posting but i think it was in PDX wake.

Worth calling a few places to see if they can fix it.

Razzman
06-02-2009, 10:19 AM
I would agree, they can fix a prop don't see why not a tracking fin. Same material after all.

Joran
06-02-2009, 12:50 PM
true, but with props they usually take them off.

Still, I'll call a few places.