PDA

View Full Version : Maiden Voyage of new 2009 Outback V - Tower Flex

bjames
06-01-2009, 01:06 PM
First off I have to say gernerally I am very impressed with my new Moomba Outback. However I have to say I noticed what seems to be quite a bit of flex to the tower when driving over choppy waters. I have been out in much worse conditions in a 185 Monterey sterndrive with a factory Tower (1.75" diameter) and didnt seem to exhibit as much flex. The waves were only about 1 to 2 feet or so - no white caps and only a few instances of bow slapping but gererally not to bad. The concern I have is how well will this tower hold up to rougher lake conditions - how much flex can it handle, will it break :eek:, develop cracks on the FG? What kind of flex should I expect pulling a wake boarder?

lancesaville
06-01-2009, 01:46 PM
I would talk with your dealer and make sure everything is in order. Moomba's been making that tower since 03 or 04 I think and haven't really changed it so it must be a suitable tower. Did you make sure everything was tight? On my LSV, which does have a slightly bigger tower, I can hang from the thing without it budging and I'm 235 lbs, and there's 30 lbs worth of speakers on the tower at the same time. Check, and re-check all the mount points and hinges, and call your dealer if you don't find the problem and see what they say. Good luck bro.

bjames
06-01-2009, 03:41 PM
thanks guys... The flex looks to be a side to side flexing of the tubing and doesnt appear to be from anything loose. In fact if you grab onto the tower and try to flex it from side to side you can notice it. Obviously IMO its due to the 1-5/8" tubing used. In the showroom I compared a floor model OBV with a Mobius and I found the OBV was real easy to flex whilst the Mobius was completly rigid.

I guess maybe I am a little parranoid thinking is going to break under rough waters.

kaneboats
06-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Paranoia . . . will destroy ya. But nothing wrong with being careful.

Razzman
06-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Double check the large allen head bolts at the rear mounts, mine were loose when i got the boat and loosened up again after a couple outings. Now the've seated i guess and have not done it since, probably because i keep a wrench in the boat to check. Ya know that rule.

bjames
06-01-2009, 04:46 PM
Forgot to upload a photo... enjoy..;)2729

mmandley
06-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Bjames first off welcome to the Moomba crew. Great looking OBV.

My tower flexes also. It didnt the first few outings but once i loaded with 3 wake boards and now with the new Z5 cargo rack. It flexes side to side a bit. Nothing to serious but it does move when i hit waves and if im in the chop.

I spoke to my dealer and they said its normal to get some flex, just check the bolts and if it gets to bad they will be happy to look it over.

I can easily hang from my tower and its sturdy and strong. I have pulled lots of big guys behind it and it will be stable, ive even had the boat pulled off center from one friend who is 6.5 and 250+

Each time he cut real wide the wake would wash on one side he was pulling so hard but its all good.

Sled491
06-01-2009, 09:48 PM
Nice lookin boat. The tower tubing diameter is definately the reason for the flex. But to be honest I've never heard of one breaking. My buddy has the same tower on his 06 Outback and I've noticed the sway, but so far no prblems. However it should be noted we are much smaller lakes and you would honestly never find me out on 1 - 2 ft chop:) except at the Jamboree where we end up on a bigger chain of lakes.

kaneboats
06-02-2009, 10:01 AM
Nice looking boat!