PDA

View Full Version : 04 LXV Heater problem?

ajsboat
06-01-2009, 12:57 PM
I'm having a problem with the heater in front of the drivers seat. It has 2 hoses attached to it. I would guess these hoses are to heat up the air coming out of the heater. They are both leaking HOT water really bad. I took both of them off and cut the ends and reconnected them thinking it was a bad connection. That didn't help.

Any opinions? :D

mcdye
06-01-2009, 01:10 PM
It is just like a car setup. Hot water from the engine is routed thru a small radiator core, a fan blows air across the core and you get the hot air thru the flex hoses and vent. I would suspect that the core has a leak since you said the water lines at tight going into the heat box. MIght get lucky have a radiator repair it or have to replace. It appears one can buy replacements directly from heatercraft.

ToddXLV
06-01-2009, 01:47 PM
I'm having a problem with the heater in front of the drivers seat. It has 2 hoses attached to it. I would guess these hoses are to heat up the air coming out of the heater. They are both leaking HOT water really bad. I took both of them off and cut the ends and reconnected them thinking it was a bad connection. That didn't help.

Any opinions? :D

What part of the country do you live? It sounds like you have a ruptured heater core?

I replaced mine last year from pulling it out of storage too early while having some warranty work done on it. Don't have the dealership repair it as they will overcharge the hell out of you. I found a complete heater core and housing online for about a $100 new. I can't remember the website but you can search. Or you can remove the complete housing and open up the casing and remove the heater core and bring it to your local auto parts dealer. It should cost no more than $60 for a new one. You remove the heater core by going to the stern (front) of the boat and removing the seat cushion right in front of the driver. It helps to be a medium to smaller stature person since it's a little cramped weezling yourself in there. Me and my buddy are both big guys and we managed but it would of been easier if we had a smaller friend help. But neverless anybody should be able to do it. You unscrew the housing from about 8-10 points and remove the hosing from both sides. Some water will come out of course but that is to be expected.

It's really a easy do it yourself fix. I believe my local Moomba/Supra dealership quoted me $350. Ha, what a joke.

ajsboat
06-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the information.

I try that.

ToddXLV
06-01-2009, 03:38 PM
Are you seeing steam from the vents when the heater is turned on?

ajsboat
06-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Yes but only for a short time after i turn it on, until it clears it out I guess.

BUT stream almost constantly comes out even when the heater is not on.

I was roasting in the drivers seat the whole time between the 95 degree temp and the stream coming from under the dash.:cry:

ToddXLV
06-01-2009, 04:07 PM
Yes but only for a short time after i turn it on, until it clears it out I guess.

BUT stream almost constantly comes out even when the heater is not on.

I was roasting in the drivers seat the whole time between the 95 degree temp and the stream coming from under the dash.:cry:

Yep, your heater core has ruptured. You need to replace it.

ajsboat
06-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Yep, your heater core has ruptured. You need to replace it.

Thanks Todd I try and replace that.

One question though, If that is the case why would cause the tubes to start leaking. Possible because the flow is being obstructed? And to much pressure for the tube to take?

Sled491
06-01-2009, 09:10 PM
Freezing water in the core will cause a rupture. For now you can just bypass the heater core by linking the 2 lines, especially if it's in the 90's by you already:)

ajsboat
06-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Freezing water in the core will cause a rupture. For now you can just bypass the heater core by linking the 2 lines, especially if it's in the 90's by you already:)

Thanks that is a possibility however in FL where I live I don't think it got cold enough to freeze last winter.

Sled491
06-01-2009, 09:18 PM
OK, how about salt water? I know it does get cold enough in Florida for freezing, there are no shortage of guys on this board who talk about it each winter. Do you think you sucked up some sand? I blow a coolant hose a summer from the sand I pick up getting on and off my lift, but to date no problems with the heater core.

ToddXLV
06-02-2009, 12:17 PM
OK, how about salt water? I know it does get cold enough in Florida for freezing, there are no shortage of guys on this board who talk about it each winter. Do you think you sucked up some sand? I blow a coolant hose a summer from the sand I pick up getting on and off my lift, but to date no problems with the heater core.

You run your boat in salt water? Yes, it can freeze in a Florida a few days over the winter. I bet you live in northern or central Florida?

zabooda
06-02-2009, 12:48 PM
I replaced my core some years back and mine was attitubuted to corrosion. The pH of the water affects the life of the core. If cores can fail in cars with a controlled solution of antifreeze, they can fail more often in boats that utilize whatever water is in your lake or river.

Sled491
06-02-2009, 02:35 PM
You run your boat in salt water? Yes, it can freeze in a Florida a few days over the winter. I bet you live in northern or central Florida?

Hell no, I'm in South East WI!! :)

ajsboat
06-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Yes I am in N FL. However my boat has never been in salt water for that reason. It is sometimes in brackish water, but there is hardly any salt water in it unless it doesn't rain for a long time.

kaneboats
06-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Yes I am in N FL.

Whereabouts?

kaneboats
06-03-2009, 10:53 AM
you can just bypass the heater core by linking the 2 lines, especially if it's in the 90's by you already:)

Living in FL I'd delete the whole thing and just get 2 clamps and a barb connector-- end of story.

volfo
06-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Your core is likely bad. It could have frozen or it could have just corroded. Water runs through it from the engine constantly but it only heats when the fans blow air across it and out through your tubes.

I had the same thing happen last year. It was expensive (and unnecessary) to replace the whole heater kit, but several places only allowed me to order a full kit. I was able to order only a heater core from skidim.com for about $130. It was a very easy replacement. The hardest part is crawling up under your drivers seat to get to the core to unhook and unscrew it. You can do the repair yourself for $130 and about an hour. If you've done it before and have no problems crawling under your driver seat, it could be done in 15 to 20 minutes.

As someone else said, if you don't use the heater ever because it's always warm where you live, you could just connect the hoses and not run it through the core and be done with it for free.

Sled491
06-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Living in FL I'd delete the whole thing and just get 2 clamps and a barb connector-- end of story.

That's what I'd do

ajsboat
06-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Whereabouts?

Jacksonville.

zabooda
06-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Heater craft had the cores for $80 some years back and it wasn't difficult to replace. I agree, if you don't use it then bypass it. Much like the shower I have as the only time I use it is when I winterize it.

kaneboats
06-03-2009, 04:52 PM
if you don't use it then bypass it. Much like the shower I have as the only time I use it is when I winterize it.

My wife would throw me out after a week.

Sled491
06-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Uhhh, I think there is a little misunderstanding there KB. I think he means the one on the boat, not the one for personal hygine:)

zabooda
06-03-2009, 06:31 PM
LOL, that was funny. If I didn't take a shower at home for a few days she would make me hook up the fake-a-lake and take a shower from the deck. Then I can say I used the boat shower.

ToddXLV
06-04-2009, 06:01 AM
LOL, that was funny. If I didn't take a shower at home for a few days she would make me hook up the fake-a-lake and take a shower from the deck. Then I can say I used the boat shower.

haha...lmao.....