PDA

View Full Version : Bilge pump not mounted, auto turns on

ToddXLV
06-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Does the bilge pump suppose to be mounted to the floor of the bilge? If so, mine came unmounted and it moves around in the bilge and ends up on it's side most of the time. When the pump is on it's side it automatically turns on. It's annoying because it's always on when it's on it's side. The pump is usually always on unless I open the rear hatch and reach down at the aft part of the engine and put it right side up.

How do I re-mount the bilge pump so it stays right side up? I tried carpet tape but it will not stick to to the floor and I'm sure once water gets in there it wouldn't stay adhered even it it did. I looked all around the bilge floor and I can't see anywhere to mount it? Does there suppose to be a bracket where it mounts into somewhere? I also fear that the pump will wear out and stop working when I am boating which will cause me to end the day early as the bilge fills up.

Razzman
06-01-2009, 12:52 PM
they are usually mounted with some form of marine silicone or epoxy i believe. Get down in there and look for a spot with adhesive. Scrap off the old and using the same mount it back on.

ToddXLV
06-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Thanks, that is what I am trying to figure out. What epoxy or water resistant adhesive do I use? I'm a big guy so it's hard squeezing my arms and shoulder down past the fly wheel and belts. But I think I can manage. I cut the side of my hand last weekend trying to mount it with that carpet tape.

ToddXLV
06-01-2009, 02:42 PM
BTW, beautiful 07 LSV. I have same black 06 XLV. I was wake surfing on my buddies Mastercraft yesterday and when we were coming back to the sand bar my black XLV was the best looking boat in the line. Made me feel proud.

ToddXLV
06-03-2009, 12:31 AM
Does anybody know the best kind of waterproof epoxy, silicone or whatever to best to mount the bilge pump to the floor of the bilge?

jmvotto
06-03-2009, 07:12 AM
i used this. i bought it at the local true value in the small tube. i think lowes has it as well in the large and small tube. be careful to put it where you want it. you may need acetone( paint thinner) to get it off other stuff

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?66666UuZjcFSLXTtlxfE4X&2EV76EbHSHVs6EVs6E666666--

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&N=4294961544&Ne=4294967294&Ntk=i_products&Ntt=3m+marine+sealant

kaneboats
06-03-2009, 09:59 AM
If there's anything to tie it to you can use a cable tie to hold it down (or upright). Mine's tied to something that screws down- can't remember what - maybe it had a mount at one time or something.

ToddXLV
06-03-2009, 10:37 AM
i used this. i bought it at the local true value in the small tube. i think lowes has it as well in the large and small tube. be careful to put it where you want it. you may need acetone( paint thinner) to get it off other stuff

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?66666UuZjcFSLXTtlxfE4X&2EV76EbHSHVs6EVs6E666666--

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&N=4294961544&Ne=4294967294&Ntk=i_products&Ntt=3m+marine+sealant

Nice, thanks JM!

ToddXLV
06-03-2009, 10:41 AM
If there's anything to tie it to you can use a cable tie to hold it down (or upright). Mine's tied to something that screws down- can't remember what - maybe it had a mount at one time or something.

You know I was trying to find something to tie it down to with zip ties but I could not locate anything to mount it to. But I don't have much play as it's pretty tight while tethered to the wiring and tubing.

gcnettl
06-07-2009, 10:25 PM
If your bilge pump is a Sahara, 500 GPH or 1100 GPH, it actually mounts with three SS screws. If you release the base from the pump, the strainer basically, you will be able to put screws through it. I have not seen very many bilge pumps that are installed using an epoxy. If your bilge pump goes out, then it would be hard to remove and install a new one. And bilge pumps don't last forever.

ToddXLV
06-08-2009, 12:50 AM
If your bilge pump is a Sahara, 500 GPH or 1100 GPH, it actually mounts with three SS screws. If you release the base from the pump, the strainer basically, you will be able to put screws through it. I have not seen very many bilge pumps that are installed using an epoxy. If your bilge pump goes out, then it would be hard to remove and install a new one. And bilge pumps don't last forever.

I'm not sure of the model but what you described is what I was looking for. Some kind of bracket that mounts to the floor of the bilge. There isn't much room to get around the back of the engine and the belts/pulleys as you probably know. Ontop of that I have 18" arms from being a meat head in the gym. So it's really hard for me to manuever around to get this thing mounted. Now I didn't feel any screws on the bilge floor so I am trying to figure out the best way to get this mounted. But I did gash my wrist pretty good last week trying to get this thing mounted. I'm thinking it may be a better idea to go from the side by letting one of those panels down?

gcnettl
06-08-2009, 03:36 PM
I'm not all that familiar with the XLV setup, but if you look on your pump you should not be able to move the float switch by hand. If you are, then this would mean that the base (strainer) of the bilge pump is still mounted in your bilge, and all you have to do is snap your pump back into the base.

So this bracket that you are looking for is what is normally attached to the bottom of the bilge pump. If you feel like this bracket is on the bilge pump, and you cannot see/feel any screws in the bilge area, then I would take the bracket (or base or whatever) off of the pump, see how many holes are in it that a screw will go through, and get some stainless steel screws and simply mount it back near where it is floating around at. The screws should have a phillips head, and not be over a 1/2" long. If you mount it back this way, then you can always remove it by snapping the base off and removing the screws.

As far as getting down in there, I am not all that familiar with your setup. I understand how tough it is getting around places.

I have located a manual, and figure three shows just how the pump attaches to the bracket. This is a popular pump so maybe it is the same that you have.

http://shop.easternmarine.com/downloadFiles/sahara.9359.pdf

ToddXLV
06-08-2009, 03:50 PM
Thanks, that was great. I just was out in my driveway clearing out the area above the right rear ballast to access the bilge. I see that bottom black part has tabs that click onto the pump. I will see if my pump has that and try to seperate that base from the pump and remount it to the bilge. Thanks a lot bro, that helps me a lot.