PDA

View Full Version : XLV vs. LSV

Lawdog
05-31-2009, 01:31 PM
I have been in the hunt for a new boat and have been doing as much homework as I possibly can. I mostly want to Wakeboard, Kneeboard, Wakesurf and Tube (for the kids). I am interested in the XLV because of the capacity and size of the boat. I dont wakesurf right now because my current boat does not allow it but I think that will be something that I will defintely love to get into though. I also do not water ski. I have been to two different dealers and neither one has an XLV for me to look at. Closest dealer that has an XLV is at least 2-3 hours away. I have been in an LSV (hopefully test driving it in the next week or so) and it seems like an awesome boat. In this market it seems alot of dealers aren't keeping the XLV on hand and I'm not sure why.

OK here are my questions....How much difference is there in the wake between the LSV and XLV especially for wakesurfing, what is the difference in handling? Anybody upgraded to an XLV from an LSV or vice versa and any suggestions? I'm just trying to get as much info as I can so that I am not wasting the dealers time. Thanks in advance.

Trashy
05-31-2009, 11:57 PM
I have an XLV and my friend has an LSV. Both are great boats. If you are interested in a big boat go with the XLV, big wake and lots of seating. The XLV also can be loaded down with a lot more weight for surfing or just to put out a huge wake for boarding. I spend half my time on the water in the LSV and it also has a great surf wake and a great boarding wake, which it can also be loaded down but not as much. No complaints on either boat!

mmandley
06-01-2009, 08:05 AM
I have the LSV and the main reason why i didn't choose an XLV was its shear size. I don't have enough room in my garage for it. I really liked it and its really just a bigger version of the LSV.

If you are planning on having 7 or 8 peeps all the time in the boat then id get the XLV. We generally have 5 or 6 peeps in out boat and its plenty of room and its really all we need.

Maybe in a few years when im ready to upgrade i might get a bigger boat but the LSV is perfect for 5 to 6 peeps all the time.

moombamania
06-01-2009, 08:36 AM
For us, it was the playpen design in the XLV that turned us away. With a tower and speakers I didn't like having to get on me knees or squat to go up front.

Trashy
06-01-2009, 10:43 AM
For us, it was the playpen design in the XLV that turned us away. With a tower and speakers I didn't like having to get on me knees or squat to go up front.

I have tower speakers and they sit up behind the driver (you can see in the pictures) so you don't have to get on your knees to go up front. The playpen is what sold us on the XLV because we have three kids, it's nice to put the center back rest up and have them ride up front out of the way.

Razzman
06-01-2009, 10:56 AM
For us it a combo of all, shear size and the playpen. I don't have the room for a boat that long, we normally average 6 peeps and the wife does not like the playpen.

jbheuerman
06-01-2009, 12:26 PM
I just bought an XLV this spring. This boat is amazing! We usually ride with around 6 people, but every once in a while, we have 10-12 people on board, and the XLV seats them comfortably. I almost got an LSV, but now I'm so glad I got the XLV with the extra room...just incase. Either way, you'll love it! Definately try to drive both first before you decide. Good luck!!

RenoXLV
06-01-2009, 05:52 PM
We had the same issue before purchasing our XLV. When we looked at both side by side, it made the decision easier. The XLV is much more roomy and we wanted to have plenty of space for friends and all the junk they usually bring along! We can load up with 6-8 adults and there is plenty of room for everyone to spread out and be comfortable. The wake is great and you won't have to upgrade to a bigger boat in the future. The Gravity III ballast system helps kick out a wake comparable with any other high end tow boat. Put in an extra 1000 - 1500 lbs and you can get a surf wake that is nearly hip high! We've been super satisfied with our XLV!

mmandley
06-01-2009, 06:09 PM
I agree Reno. Putting two boats you like side by side helps.

We did that with the OBV and our LSV and thats why we got the LSV.

If we had a bigger garage im sure we would have got the XLV too because im a big believer to get what ya really want the first time. When i got my truck in 06 i got options i had no use for until i got my boat. For 3 years i hardly ever towed anything with it, but now i tow ever weekend and im really glad i spent the extra money for all the towing upgrades i got.

Hopefully the card will fall correctly and our next house will have a much bigger garage and when we trade up in boats it will be an XLV im sure.

Just to fit the LSV in the garage i had to relocate the washer and dryer lol.

I got about 3inchs on the rear, 2 inches on the front and as you can see if its not against the wall you cant get into the house. lol. Tight fit.

Sled491
06-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Nothing really to add here, just want to say do your part for the economy and get the biggest boat you can :) MY buddy has the Supra 22SSV which is similar to the XLV. Great boat, and as you don't ski seems like the way to go.

Form&Function
06-01-2009, 10:41 PM
I traded in our 23v for a lsv because the bigger boat used a lot more gas and diesel in our tow truck.Just felt like a chore turning that big bastard around to pickup a rider.
Best thing to do is try them both and decide if you really need the extra space.

06-01-2009, 11:01 PM
I had the exact same decision to make as you and since size was not an issue for storage, we went with an XLV. You will be happy, no doubt. It so roomy and produces a great wake or surf wave. Its a comparable boat to the Supras 22 and 24 ssv, and you will like the front playpen, kids love it. We often leave the snap on cover over it and the kids play in the "fort". It keeps them busy for hours.

Both are good boats, the XLV is just bigger but it is still a very managable boat and i really don't find it's bad on fuel.

Lawdog
06-04-2009, 12:51 AM
I appreciate all the advice everyone has given....My brother graduates from Navy bootcamp later this month and there is a Moomba dealer close to the base that has an XLV and LSV, so we are going to definately look at them side by side. The only problem is we wont be able to test drive the XLV. Does anybody know how big of a garage you need for the XLV? If I keep it in my garage I will have to put it in diagonally. We keep our current boat in a warehouse that the in-laws own and only keep our boat in the garage when we want to hurry and get to the lake. Thanks again for any information.

Hillbilly
06-04-2009, 01:05 AM
Where is the extra 2 feet? In the cabin area, I think the beam is only 1 inch wider on the XLV right ? My friend owns an XLV and I an LSV and another friend commented on the wakes being very similar. I say get whatever you can get the best deal on. Remember the more ppl riding the less each person gets to ride. I know when my crew of 4 roll's out we can kill 4 hours easily taking 2 sets each !

kaneboats
06-04-2009, 09:40 AM
It's true. The more people it holds, the less ride time for the guy making the payments. I think I now understand the appeal of a kayak.

Sled491
06-04-2009, 03:44 PM
Ya and i bet most of them don't even bring a jug of gas or a box of beer:)

Trashy
06-05-2009, 10:14 AM
I appreciate all the advice everyone has given....My brother graduates from Navy bootcamp later this month and there is a Moomba dealer close to the base that has an XLV and LSV, so we are going to definately look at them side by side. The only problem is we wont be able to test drive the XLV. Does anybody know how big of a garage you need for the XLV? If I keep it in my garage I will have to put it in diagonally. We keep our current boat in a warehouse that the in-laws own and only keep our boat in the garage when we want to hurry and get to the lake. Thanks again for any information.

Unless they changed the height of the XLV, a standard garage door opening is too short to fit the XLV even with the tower down.

kaneboats
06-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Ya and i bet most of them don't even bring a jug of gas or a box of beer:)

Not even a box of wine.

ajsboat
06-05-2009, 04:34 PM
Also i more thing to think about is the XLV handle rough water a little better. Less likely to take water over the bow.
Adam

Lawdog
06-09-2009, 07:11 PM
I'm going to start off by saying that finding an XLV within reasonable distance has been a pain in the arse. The closest dealer to where I can even look is a little over 3 hours. So needless to say I am hopefully going to get to look at one next weekend. Only problem is I wont be able to test drive it, that will have to wait another weekend. I do appreciate all the info ya'll have put in. I definately know what questions I am going to ask.

Noleman
06-10-2009, 11:40 AM
I agree Reno. Putting two boats you like side by side helps.

We did that with the OBV and our LSV and thats why we got the LSV.

If we had a bigger garage im sure we would have got the XLV too because im a big believer to get what ya really want the first time. When i got my truck in 06 i got options i had no use for until i got my boat. For 3 years i hardly ever towed anything with it, but now i tow ever weekend and im really glad i spent the extra money for all the towing upgrades i got.

Hopefully the card will fall correctly and our next house will have a much bigger garage and when we trade up in boats it will be an XLV im sure.

Just to fit the LSV in the garage i had to relocate the washer and dryer lol.

I got about 3inchs on the rear, 2 inches on the front and as you can see if its not against the wall you cant get into the house. lol. Tight fit.

At least you have your priorties in the right order. No matter what you fit that thing in there!!

Form&Function
06-11-2009, 12:40 AM
Thats the problem with American culture.Everyone thinks bigger is better and strives for the most they can muster.In reality the hulls between the two are very similar and unless you have a fleet of kids or a dozen riders the boat offers almost nothing more than the smaller one.

newty
06-11-2009, 01:56 AM
If I had to do it again I would have gone with the XLV. Love our LSV but the space and freeboard is worth the upgrade imo.

lancesaville
06-11-2009, 05:48 AM
If I had to do it again I would have gone with the XLV. Love our LSV but the space and freeboard is worth the upgrade imo.

Ditto, Love my LSV, if it were only bigger.... So If I had to do it again I'd go XLV too.

mmandley
06-11-2009, 06:34 AM
Ok i think in 2011 we all need to buy new XLVs lol. That way we can all gloat at the same time over our new boats hee hee.

Lawdog
06-12-2009, 01:45 AM
I'm leaning towards the XLV, I just want to see one in person first :)

wolfeman131
06-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Ok i think in 2011 we all need to buy new XLVs lol. That way we can all gloat at the same time over our new boats hee hee.

how 'bout a "group buy" on XLV's in 2011? :p

LSM
06-12-2009, 12:32 PM
To me storage is a big deal. If you can't fit it in your storage space then I would not get it.

I personally don't like leaving a nice boat out side all the time. I bought a LSV and it fills my garage up.

I remove the swim platform, lower the tower and swing the tongue to get it in my garage. However, some people have much more space than I do.

The LSV is still a big boat.

LSM
06-12-2009, 12:35 PM
I forgot to mention my garage is 23.5 ft deep.

The LSV will fit as mentioned above if you take off the swim platform, lower the tower and swing the tongue.

The XLV obviously would not even come close to fitting in my garage.

jester
06-12-2009, 02:01 PM
how 'bout a "group buy" on XLV's in 2011? :p

Humm that could be fun. How much of a discount do you think we could get if we bought like 20 of them. Only problem i have is space. My OBV fits without a problem but the XLV would be too long.

Sled491
06-13-2009, 09:32 PM
People people people, just help out the economy ande get your garaqge renovated:) You will love the 26 ft deep garage trust me!

If I could ever get into my property the Supra 22 SSV is the boat for me. That being said I think the LSV is one heck of a boat

Lawdog
06-16-2009, 07:44 PM
Well I finally get a chance to go look at an XLV this Thursday. I'm so excited.

Membrain
06-16-2009, 09:30 PM
Can't go wrong with the XLV!