PDA

View Full Version : Carpet Redo

buzcoats
05-31-2009, 09:20 AM
I've torn out and reinstalled new carpet in my 2004 XLV. Not sure if this is proper way to do it, but it worked for me.

1) Take out both pieces of flooring. The rear one should come out first and then the front one. All the screws are along the sides under the seat compartments.

2) Take the old carpet off. It will probably have staples and some parts that will tear. Just take your time and try to keep it intact as much as possible so you can use the old carpet as a template for the new.

3) Once the old carpet is removed you have to strip all of the old glue off. I tried everything from mineral spirits to acetone but the only that worked well was some stuff called Citristrip. Put it one and let it set for a couple hours and then take a putty knife to it. I had to do it several times on a couple spots.

4) Once the glue is off, wipe off the excess citristrip and clean with acetone.

5) Apply new glue (outdoor carpet glue) with a 1/4" trowel. Do the top side and let set about 24hrs. Then come back and wrap the edges and use the pins and clamps to hold down tight.

6) I use clamps and a lot of clothes pins for the edges and roll the carpet flat with a kitchen roller.

7) let set for 24 hrs and don't get it wet for several days.

I think I spent less than $100 for everything including carpet. Hope this helps someone.

Buddy

yearround
05-31-2009, 11:23 PM
that looks like lots of work!
why did you need to replace the carpet, was it too worn, stained, just needed a face lift?

how much time did all this take?
what carpet did you use?

thanks for the info

buzcoats
06-01-2009, 08:31 AM
More time consuming than anything. The carpet was worn flat and stained. It probably took about 20 minutes to get the flooring out of the boat.

Most of the time is spent taking the old carpet and glue off. You have to put the stripper on and let it sit for a couple hours then come and scrape off. You have to do this until you get it all off. The whole thing took two days, but most of that is just waiting for glue to come off.

I used marine carpet bought at Lowe's. .75 a sq/ft

Buddy

mmandley
06-01-2009, 08:39 AM
Nice looking work Buddy. Can we get a pic of the new carpet? Or something. Im sure you've stood there looking at it grinning at your hard work and success on a project.

I know after i spent 7 hours redoing the stereo in my boat last week, all day i jammed out on the water and grinned at how well it sounded, and all the money i saved by doing it myself.

buzcoats
06-03-2009, 08:46 AM
I'll send some pics when I get the rest of my interior back in. I'm having it redone too!

Bcoutsfly
06-03-2009, 09:38 AM
Nice, I have an 07' and it already needs new carpet. Can someone explain to me why Moomba decided to put carpet under the seats and in the V-Drive compartments? It's nothing but a mold nest.

volfo
06-04-2009, 12:35 AM
a little off-topic, but if your carpet is just looking flat and maybe a little stained, try taking it to one of the coin operated carwashes where you get the want that sprays concentrated water and has the dial where you can turn it with soap. Spray your carpet with that thing, both with just the water and with the soap. Takes a bet to rinse and dry out, but it will make your carpet look so much nicer much more quickly. STands it right up.

Don't do this and then cover your boat before it dries out!

kaneboats
06-04-2009, 09:41 AM
You can cover it if you leave the ends open and put a fan at one end.